Gas Pedal Sticks

When I push my gas pedal down, sometimes it sticks and stays pushed down. I have to put my foot under it and flip it back up, so it stop accelerating. Why is my truck doing this.

1978 chev. c10 custome deluxe, 5.7L v8.
Reply to
78chevy

Many many years ago I had a 72 GMC that I had the same thing happen a few times and yours may use a simular setup. The was a cable between pedal and carb and there was a sliding "boot" or sheild as you may call it that was getting caught on cable housing under dash near firewall when pedal was depressed enough. I replaced the cable as I recall and the problem never came back. Mine only stuck at full throttle too.

Reply to
SnoMan

Throttle Shaft in the carb is binding. My 84 C-10 has that problem. Mostly after it sits a while. The fix is to replace the base plate of the carb, or get it bushed (with bushings) by a rebuilder. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I still think it is in the cable with this one. A binding throttle bore shaft is VERY, VERY rare on that model truck

Reply to
SnoMan

Actually it's rather commen on ALL Rochester Q-Jets. Especially units that have seen over 150,000 miles. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

pushed

problem.

Strange as I owned several Qjets and put over 200K on one and the only cronic problem they had was that darn cheap float they put in them that used to "water log" with gas ever several years and cause them to flood and go rich. I changed more than a few of them. To this day I have never seen a siezed one. It does not mean it cannot happen but it does mean it is very rare. Also if it is on a cable and you pull the pedal up, it will not return throttle plates either. That only works with mechanical linkage.

Reply to
SnoMan

Since I sell COREs and Used autoparts I probably look for, and see more of it then other people might.

Q-Jets are so known for this problem more then 5 companies produce bushing kits for the shafts. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Even if you see them it does not change the fact that if one is stuck, pulling the pedal up will not to a thing with a cable controlled throttle.

Reply to
SnoMan

And if the cable is binding nether will pulling up on the pedal do anything.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

If you pull the pedal up on a cable in a old chevy the cable end just slides through the gas pedal upper arm and no force is applied to cable at all.

Reply to
SnoMan

Well...that's the point that Whitelightning is trying to make. Lets go with the original post. The OP says his throttle sticks and he can get it to "unstick" by putting his foot under the pedal and pulling it up. You seem to think it's a cable problem, but two guys in here (including yourself) have shown why pulling up on the pedal would not release a siezed cable. So it's not as likely to be a seized cable. Perhaps the pedal assembly itself is at fault.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai