sticky pedal

My Camry's gas pedal sometimes sticks a bit when pressing it to take off from a stop. You press too hard and it gets past the sticking point but then you don't have a smooth takeoff.

How do I fix this?

Reply to
badgolferman

Just like the squeaky wheel, the sticky pedal gets the grease.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Clean the throttle plate in the intake plenum. When the throttle plate is closed, a little residue on the plenum will cause the plate to stick. If you use a solvent, make sure it is Oxygen Sensor Friendly.

Reply to
username

As username suggested, clean the throttle body. Remove the black plastic tube that connects the throttle body to the air cleaner housing to expose the throttle plate. Open the throttle plate by hand and spray with aerosol carburetor cleaner to dissolve the varnish-like buildup. Wipe out with a paper towel and repeat, paying attention to the edges of the throttle plate.

Reply to
Ray O

NO!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

use THROTTLE BODY cleaner. NOT carb cleaner!

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Do you know something the factory doesn't? The factory repair manual specifies carburetor cleaner, not throttle body cleaner.

Throttle body cleaner is needed for some throttle bodies with a coating on the interior of the throttle body because the coating can be dissolved by carburetor cleaner. I believe that Fords require TB cleaner instead of carb cleaner. Toyota throttle bodies do not use a coating and so carburetor cleaner works.

Reply to
Ray O

I always like hearing from the smartest guy in the room.

You are right about Fords - or at least older ones. They supposedly had a coating that prevented build up and this coating was damaged by carb cleaner. Fords from around 2000 had labels on the throttle body saying not to clean them at all. If only that coating really worked. I used a soft rag saoked in WD40 to clean the throttle body of my Fords from the late 1990's when they were sticky becasue of the build-up. It worked and as far as I can tell it didn't hurt the special coating (but then why would I care - the coating didn't seem to work). Sometime around 2005 Ford figured out how to eliminate the problem with sticky throttle caused by build up. I think they moved the PCV feed to do it, but I am not sure. At any rate neither the 2007 Fusion I used to own or the 2006 Mustang my son still owns have ever had a sticky throttle problem. For that matter neither have any of the more recent Toyotas owned by family memebers (several of which are in the 90,000 mile range). Maybe everyone figured out how to elimnate the problem....would be nice.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I always thought that the PCV feed should be relocated so it wouldn't gum up the throttle plate so much. Electronic throttle pedals eliminated sticky pedals due to gum buildup because there is no feedback to the pedal like with a cable connected to the plate. But then, Toyotas developed a different kind of sticky pedal to trade an annoyance for some thrills.

Reply to
Ray O