Gas saver question

Here goes, has anyone actually tried a Ramjet Gas Saver? They claim upto

35% in savings, hard to believe. But with the price of gas these days ($1.16 a ltr) I was thinking of looking into these things. I'm not writing this to be flamed in any way but rather to get constructive inputs.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Marc

Here is a link for this thing.

"Marc" a écrit dans le message de news: nGe5g.274$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Reply to
Marc

I've tried a lot (literally dozens) of "gas savers" over the past 40 years and I can honestly tell you that none of them worked as advertised and only a few worked at all. I seriously doubt that this thing will do anythig except lighten your wallet. The old tried and true methods of increasing fuel economy seem to work best. BTW what vehicle and engine setup are we talking about? Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sun, Apr 30, 2006, 11:07pm From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Marc) Here goes, has anyone actually tried a Ramjet Gas Saver? They claim upto

35% in savings, hard to believe. But with the price of gas these days ($1.16 a ltr) I was thinking of looking into these things. I'm not writing this to be flamed in any way but rather to get constructive inputs. Thanks in advance.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~

Reply to
Rich B

Think about it Marc, if this thing worked as advertised then it would come standard on your vehicle from the factory, but every time fuel prices go up there is always someone on one of these newsgroups asking about one of these "amazing" fuel savings gadgets. Unfortunately, the answer is always the same - they are all smoke and mirrors and some may even do more harm than good to both your motor and your fuel mileage.

Says who? Consumer Reports, Popular Mechanics, and a host of other agencies that have tested and reported on many of these miracle products and have found all of them to be lacking. In fact, the best I've ever seen has been the independent analysis for a few that said at best there was no change in fuel economy and they did no damage (and that was the BEST of what was said).

Save your money - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

read the "doctors" "report". This thing is just plain silly esp on a computer controlled car. His report was written in 1979. Drill a small hole in your rich running non-comp controlled car's pvc hose and you'll get the same results. This is almost as stupid as the magnet for your fuel line.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

I've always liked Dire Straits, but that won't get me to buy this thing. Just think, if you put this, the Splitfire plugs, the magnets on the fuel line, and all the other fuel-saving devices and additives, you could be a gasoline manufacturer, if you had somewhere to store all the gas coming out your filler tube.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

I went to this website and found the Gov test case's on these. I would say read it. There your going to find it tells you there was no increase in mpg.

Reply to
kevin weaver

My local news did a story on this a couple days ago, and said it was all false promises. As they said, it if was true, and could really prove to be a savings to you-- everyone would be using it.

Reply to
Angie

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I know I was fishing for an easy solution and that these things dont work, I was kinda hoping to hear that such a gadget works but hey, thats life.

Rich, I'm driving a 2005 Sierra Crew Cab 4x4 with the 5.3l engine and 3.73 gears. I've been averaging about 15-18 mpg (using the cdn gallon) or

12-14mpg (us gal.) driving half city half hwy. The best I have gotten hwy was 21mpg(cdn)/17.5mpg(us), hence the reason I was asking this question.

I have always had very serious reserves about such gadets but this vendor was convincing. The promise of a minimum of 15% savings and maybe upto 35% is very temping. Thanks again.

Marc

"Angie" a écrit dans le message de news: eJw5g.8809$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny...

Reply to
Marc

I put a new chrome breather and a K&N air filter on my 5.7L with TBI, and it seems to have help my MPG alot...more than I thought it would. every little bit helps these days.

Reply to
chris030461

I don't have any first-hand knowledge about newer vehicles. My truck is a 1990 with a 350 tbi engine and when I bough it, it gave me terrible gas mileage (12 city, 15 hwy). I now get 16 city and a steady 18 to

20 on the highway. The cruise doesn't work and it is a high-mileage truck.

I do all the normal things (tune-ups, tire pressure, etc.) and I also added a spacer under the tbi tower (lifts the injectors out of the bore and allows more air flow) plus one under the tbi unit itself (this one has the area between the bores almost completely cut away. I also ran a ground wire directly from the battery to the external coil. I cleaned all my electrical connections (used an eraser to avoid damaging the copper/brass connectors) and used copper conductive paste on all the ground connections that I could. I don't know if any of this can help you but I'll throw it yor way just in case.

Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Mon, May 1, 2006, 8:34pm From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Marc) Thanks to all of you for your responses. I know I was fishing for an easy solution and that these things dont work, I was kinda hoping to hear that such a gadget works but hey, thats life. Rich, I'm driving a 2005 Sierra Crew Cab 4x4 with the 5.3l engine and

"Angie" a =E9crit dans le message de news: eJw5g.8809$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny... My local news did a story on this a couple days ago, and said it was all false promises. As they said, it if was true, and could really prove to be a savings to you-- everyone would be using it.