Lets Start a GAS WAR

This was an e-mail I received, I removed the original and subsequent headers to provide privacy to the senders, but there were thousands of folks on it. I think this will work, if we can give it a chance.

: FW: How to lower gas prices

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.09 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost! Of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and! Pass this on to ten friends each, and then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am ... so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK. Kerry Lyle, Director, Research Coordinator

Reply to
William Boyd

you realize there is no possible way this will hurt any oil company.......

besides the fact that the logic is incorrect, since the big oil companies sell their gas to smaller ones, they still make their profit....

Reply to
Bryan

============================================= $1.30 range?!!! lol, I guess thats what happens when the same crap is copyed and pasted since 2001!

I wrote a little on this matter below. but if you dont want to read what I have to say, then go to

Yet another feeble effort that will not work. If we all boycott Exxon/Mobil we will still be demanding the same amount of fuel, just not from them. So all the other fuel manufacturers will have an increase on their demand, and be forced to raise their prices while Exxon/Mobil stays unchanged. As all the other fuel prices rise, Exxon/Mobil will start to look more appealing since their price has not gone up!

Come on folks. boycotting one supplier when there is a limited supply only hurts yourself. We need to decrease the quantity demanded. In other words just plain buy less gas, from everyone! That's right, You are endorsing these high gas prices when you buy these gas guzzling SUVs and giant trucks that never hauls anything more then your fat butt.

Many car companies are offering alternative fuel vehicles, Natural gas cars, electric cars, etc. Dumping the Ever-enlarging SUVs and getting smaller, more fuel efficient, more economical cars that use less fuel will not only cause the gas demand to go down, but most of these fuel efficient cars are much cheaper (to buy AND to own) this way you will then have more money to spend on other things. OR maybe, just maybe you can... -gasp- SAVE some money in the bank! I know, I know. a Honda Civic hybrid, or a Toyota Pirus doesn't exactly that that "Bling" factor that so many weak-minded Californian's have grown dependent on. So next time you fill up. just remember, YOU bought your car. YOU can choose what ever car you want. Gas prices are what they are and if we continue to buy SUVs and trucks that use a lot of gas, then the gas prices will continue to rise. Its simply the price you pay for your status. Swallow some pride and trade in that Hummer H2, or YukonXL and get an Envoy, or Highlander. Still nice SUVs, still just as capable as many larger SUVs.

Further more. The Chevy Suburban, one of the most commonly seen SUVs on the road (could just be because of its size) from 5268-6073 pounds, it's a hefty beast too! How about the Silverado 1500? Bet you have seen a few of those on the road! 4225-5834 pounds! Then there is the all coveted H2, tipping the scales at 6400 pounds. Lets take a look at the Ford explorer shall we? Currently weighing in at 4301 pounds. But in 1995, it came in at 3952 pounds. How about the Dodge Ram 2500? Currently, 6207, was just a shade over

5000 just ten years ago. Exactly how much steel is used in these SUVs? Since its currently 11PM, and I am sure this email will surface in another six months (as it has in the past) I will get into the cost of heating steel and aluminum to melt it down to make the cars and trucks. The mere cost of the steel that is used in a 6000 SUV compared to the cost of the steel in a 3000 pound SUV.. You can build twice as many cars with the same about of steel, and the smaller cars get better fuel economy, AND usually carry just as many people in a smaller area! The solution is not to boycott the fuel suppliers. We need to boycott the ever popular trend of growing cars! They just keep getting bigger!

I know quite a few people that commute over 60 miles each way for work. That comes out to over 31k miles a year in JUST commuting to work. Its not just the fuel economy though, its the size of the vehicles. One full size consumes just about as much space as two economy cars. If we got rid of the unnecessary big SUVs and trucks, then traffic would not be as bad ether.. and with better traffic comes a higher average speed, approaching closer to a more efficient speed for the engine. Allowing the engine to operate in its more efficient range AND less time is spent sitting in traffic. Less traffic, less stress, less road rage, lower blood pressure and less medication due to stress induced ailments.

Beyond the car market, there are other solution to saving gas. Take the bus! Walk, ride a bicycle, or really push yourself and CARPOOL! That's right! share the commute with a coworker! Not only will this cut down on gas consumption, but it will also remove cars from the freeways causing less traffic. with less traffic, the cars will be able to actually move, a car moving at 60 MPH on the freeway in over-drive is more fuel efficient then the same car in second gear doing 20 MPH. Use less gas, AND get to work sooner, and less stressed out from the drive.

So you want to pay less for gas? Gas prices are not going to fall. so you will just have buy less gas. A new issue that has been coming up lately is China. They are growing and developing at an amazing rate. They are quickly becoming a major fossil fuel consumer. We need to reduce our fuel consumption more, and faster then their ever growing rate of demand climbs! WE only have so much oil, and the demand will only grow with the global development and modernization.

Here is another thought. How much time do you spend sitting in your car in line at the drive through? How much gas is burned in California while they wait for their food to be cooked? Park your car, turn it off, get your lazy butt out of your car and into the restaurant and eat inside. Or better yet, just don't eat out! Most home made food is more healthy then fast food. And is MUCH cheaper. AND you will not be using your precious gas to go get it. Just throw a cooler in the trunk, and your set, fresh food on demand!

Just my $.02 do what you will, its your money.

Ahh yes, the cost of helping one's ego, even at $10 a gallon, some folks will still need that social crutch to think they are "cool" or "popular"

Reply to
Trey

bs snipped...

btw guys...dont know about where you are at, but fuel is dropping like a rock here. Reg unlead was $2.45 a week ago... Now its 1.99-$2.10

Reply to
webmaster

" snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com" wrote in message news:dPQ8e.793$ snipped-for-privacy@eagle.america.net...

Its still hovering around $2.60 here.

Reply to
Trey

yep $2.40 here

Reply to
Bryan

Of course it is. As you know, the price of fuel seems to have little to do with the day's price of oil. It seems that the oil execs are getting scared with the recent rapid shift of Americans to more fuel efficient vehicles (as seen by rapid market share loss of GM and Ford) and are trying to lull us back into being the selfish ignorant people we are so good at being with lower prices (for a while). Fuel price by me is now back to $1.99 form $2.24 a week ago but it will be for a short time.

Reply to
TBone

You are trying to play the "supply and demand" game with the people that set the supply. It won't work. Refinery production will be balanced with whatever demand the consumer sets. Prices are not high because Mother Earth ran out of oil. I know oil is a limited natural resource, but when are we going to run out? I don't think any time in the immediate future. If we reduce the demand, the refineries (who you want to boycott) will reduce production to balance the demand, then RAISE prices to make up for lost sales volume. If you think they will keep refining just to store the products and create a supply "overstock" you are kidding yourself.

Reply to
Nosey

LOL, where do you guy's come up with this crap. The market is what it is and if demand goes down, so will the price. Even now the price of gas is falling fast in many areas because the oil companies see people rapidly moving toward better mileage cars. If they tried to raise prices in response to lower demand it would drive even more people to even smaller better mileage vehicles and reduce demand even further and then the government would have to get involved since that would be price gouging and the last thing the oil companies want is price regulations. BTW, do you happen to work for the oil company?

Reply to
TBone

Come to the Demecratic Republic of Washington State. We will gladly provide you with Regular at 2.40 avg (2.35 to 2.60) or diesel at

2.75avg. And this is where the State Legislature is saying we need another 15 cents a gallon gas tax.

So come on up and enjoy.

Reply to
RickN7HJ

I think that I will stay right here at $1.99 (for now anyway) if you don't mind.

Reply to
TBone

Wow... it's working already! Keep up the good work, guys!!!

(yeah, yeah... I know.... :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Not here in Phoenix. Its still going up. Average is about $2.38 but I saw one station at $2.55 this morning.

Reply to
miles

People are nuts. They are now paying more for a used hybrid than a brand new one because new ones have several months waiting lists. These hybrids are rather costly so no real savings from the better mpg. People are so fixated on the price of gas they will spend a fortune to save a few peanuts in comparison. One good thing is coming out of all this. The high prices are getting people to put pressure on politicians to do more for the short term dependency of foreign oil by allowing domestic oil expansion. Should have started that a decade or more ago.

Reply to
miles

How about an old fashioned gas war that forces the price of "ethyl" from $0.269 to $0.169 per gallon. I'd vote for that war.

Reply to
Langerhans

No, I don't work for any of the oil companies. Are you saying that last week there was a mad rush of people buying fuel efficient cars resulting in the gas prices going down? I think not. The price of gas at the pumps is set by the cost of foreign crude oil. You do seem interested in this subject, so I'll pass this along to you. Explore it, analyze it any way you want, then come to your own conclusions.

Nosey

Decimal points are nasty, dirty little things aren't they?

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Thats partly true. The price of oil goes up 2% and gas prices go up

10%. The news might tell you its the price of oil being passed down to the end user. More to it than that by far.
Reply to
miles

Yes, there is more to it, but no one thing changes the cost of gas at the pumps more than the cost of crude oil.

Reply to
Nosey

Thats just not true at all. Refining costs are whats driving up prices now. There are numerous refineries out of commission now and the remaining ones can't keep up with demand. The price of oil has gone up $8 a barrel since this time last year. Thats a fraction of whats happened to the price of gas in the past year. Make a graph showing the price of oil over the last 10 years compared with the price of gas. They dont have anywheres near the same slope. Other costs far outweigh the cost of the oil. Thats just what the retailers want you to believe.

Reply to
miles