GMC 6.2 diesel dipstick jammed?

Wanted to check my engine oil (6.2 diesel engine), but my dipstick would not go back all the way back into its place, leaving 15 inches out? Anybody ever had this happen before? Why did this happen.....is it a minor repair ? Thanks in advance for any help. I'm new to diesel and not a mechanic. Regards J-P.

Reply to
Jean-Pierre Bourassa

Hello J-P,

Pull out the dipstick and try pushing it back in after twisting it 45 degrees or so. Repeat until it slips all the way in.

Good luck! Franko

Reply to
Franko

Thanks Franco, It makes sense, i'l try that early tomorrow, I suspect it will do the trick...thanks again...Regards..J-P.

"Franko" a écrit dans le message de news:XLmqe.929526$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Reply to
Jean-Pierre Bourassa

Franko ! if you read this.......

I tried all angles and carefully pushed.......it comes to a solid dead stop...like hitting metal. Is there a channel leading to oil pan that could have come of and I'am hitting the block or something ? Guess I'l have to go to a garage to lift and seek, I usualy get shop manuals for all my vehicles but this one belong to a friend of mine that is in the hospital at the moment (probable gone nuts over that dip stick event !) LOL

Regards J-P.

"Franko" a écrit dans le message de news:XLmqe.929526$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Reply to
Jean-Pierre Bourassa

I can't imagine what's causing this. But if you end up having to drop the oil pan and the engine is in a 1/2 ton pickup, the factory manual says you have to raise the engine to get the pan off. Take the bolts off, drop the pan, take a flashlight and see where the front crankshaft counterweights are, and rotate the crank until they're up in the block. The pan should come off now. Just didn't want you to go through my greasy learning experience.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
gfulton

Hello J-P,

Allow me to ask the obvious:

  1. Do you have the correct dipstick? (I just checked ours, about 20" long from bottom of cup to tip)
  2. Is the dipstick straight? (other than the 2 or 3 "S" right under the cup)
  3. Is the dipstick tube perpendicular to the engine block? (clumsy to remove/install, angled upward towards the driver's side hood spring)
  4. Any chance something slipped down the dipstick tube? If 15" of the dipstick is sticking out, that means the tip isn't entering the block at all (the dipstick tube itself sticks out about 5"-6"). Have you tried snaking a straight wire down the tube?

Regards, Franko

Reply to
Franko

Thanks for the returned info. Garret, I'l print your message. Buy the way we are looking her at a 1983 GMC Vandura 3500 with a 6.2 diesel engine automatic tranny (van conversion into a "B" class motorhome)

Regards J-P.

"gfulton" a écrit dans le message de news:e41d$42ab92e0$a227633e$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET...

Reply to
Jean-Pierre Bourassa