High Milage Poll (oil question)

77 chevy 350 4x4 187000 miles 10w30 65 bsa thunderbolt milage unkown do to no spedo mobil 1 10w30 2000 yamaha roadstar 1600 17000 miles mobil 1 10w30 87 yamaha tw200 10w30 whatever is on sale 85 yamaha bw200 10w30 whatever is on sale 92 gmc sierra 4.3 167000 quaker state 20w50 Hi!

fashion...as

Reply to
sidewinder

We have hundreds in our fleet with over 100K and quite a few with over

200K. They get 10W30 oil changed every 6000 miles. Most of the transmissions last the same length with fluid & filter changes ever 30K. All makes, Ford, Chevy, Dodge. Taurus, Luminas, Caprices, F150s, 250;s, 350';s, S10s, Rangers, etc.
Reply to
AZGuy
1980 Chevy Van 30, 350 engine. Has 2.100 km on it, in fact the odometer turned from 99.999 to zero last month. But since it has no 6th digit there's no way to know if it has been doing 102.100, 202.100 or 302.100 etc. I use 15w40 during the summer and 10w40 in winter.

Timo

CCred68046 wrote:

Reply to
Timo Wildschut

bought a 87safari 4.3with 240,000km's last winter.

Reply to
Buzz Lightbeer

#1 1991 3/4 Ton suburban 350 10w30 used all year around daily driver and used for towing 143k (still almost new) :-)

#2 1983 3/4 Van (full size) 6.2 diesel 15w40 all year around daily driver and light towing when necessary 435k when the speedo broke (will fix when I can find a new speedo module)

mark

Reply to
rock_doctor
95 Chevy 1/2 ton Z71 350 5.7 L 170,000 Castrol or Quaker State change it every 2000 to 3000 miles which only takes a 2-3 weeks . I use it for my Delivery Business daily also pull a 20 ft enclosed wells cargo trailer, usually loaded. The truck runs like new no leaks no problems.everything works and looks great !! knock on wood Have a Great One ! Bob
Reply to
Bob Perkins
1 isle over you'll find the good stuff - SuperTECH!!!! It's made by Pennzoil from what I hear, good enough for my beater!!! (145k)
Reply to
KJ

at my local Wal-Mart, the superTECH stuff is in the same isle as all the gasser oils... next isle over is the stuff for diesels, gearboxes and farm tractors.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

this is Turtle.

I have 2 trucks / van i use in my HVAC /R commercial Service Business and buy second hand truck or van in Chevy or GMC and run them to 300K+ and dump them. I have been doing this trade off thing for years. If i get away from the GMC or Chevy i get in trouble with repairs for I'm hell on a service truck. Also i use nothing but castrol 20-W-40 year round.

1) 1993 1 ton Chevy crago van 350 ci -- Use castrol 20-W-40 year round -- change Oil + filter every 4K miles --i have 168K on it now --- i have another 150K or 3 years left to dump it. i put about 50K a year on them each.

2) 1993 GMC 1/2 ton SLE 350 ci. -- use nothing but castrol oil 20-w-40 year round -- change oil + filter every 4K miles -- I have 155K on it and about 3 years or 150K left before dumping it.

i seem to have trouble out of the Chevy or GMC with the 350 ci. after 300K+ on them. They messed me up now with the 327 ci. for i don't know about them or have not seen them in the long haul to stand up to the 300K+ . Has anybody seen the 327 ci. go the 300K+ and hold up like the old 350 ci. ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Hello, I have drove a 2002 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive chevy with the 327 . I have now idea about 300,000 miles this only had about 12,000 on it when i drove it. it seemed like a spiffy engine but i recently test drove a

2004 3/4 2500HD with the 6.0 which i believe is actually a 368 ci it has some serious get up and go. The price after rebate on this 04 W/T in Iowa was about $26,000 it's a 4X4 ex-cab(quad doors), tow package,am/fm,air,automatic. and that's about it. pretty basic truck but has everything i would need for daily hauling. anyone own one of these? Hvae a Great One ! Bob :)
Reply to
Bob Perkins
1996 Chevy S-10 Reg Cab Pickup Short Box 106,000 Miles on truck. 2.2L 4cyl. 5W30 Valvoline Oil used exclusively, Oil changed every 7500 miles (As per Long Trip Maintenance Schedule) Truck is a daily driver, firewood retriever, home building supplies carrier. I do not tow with this truck. Doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil, runs great...looking to put another 100k on it.

John Q.

Reply to
John
1991, S-10, 4.3 6, bought it with 30,000 miles on it in 1994. Mileage as of today 193,650.

All original parts except for the basics and the only expensive repairs so far heater core and a starter (if that is considered expensive).

I lose maybe less than a half of quart of oil between changes and change the oil at or a little over 3,000 miles. Oil: Summer 10w30 Winter 5w30 Filter: Purelator Never used any additives

Love the truck, most reliable vehicle I ever owned. I am currently looking for a car and most likely will buy one within the next week or so but the truck is mine or soon to be my sons. The only real issues I am battling right at the moment though is the body, paint in terrible shape and rust in some areas. My overall plan for the truck is once I get something new is to park it and start working on the body and interior. Then get a nice paint job and give it to my son who will be driving in a another year and 5 months. He really likes it and already has plans for what he wants to do with it.

Rip

Reply to
Ripples
3800 V6 Castrol 10 W 30 Castrol 5 W 30 ( under 50 degree temps ) Changed Every 3000 miles with filter.

Oops, sorry I forgot this is the truck newsgroup .

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

the 5.3 is a *3*2*5* not a 327.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

You might want to watch out for sythetic conversions in a motor that old. I was reading a page (look on google for engine or motor oil bible) and they made a coment that if you give an engine a good cleaning out (running 0W-20 for twenty minutes to clean the engine out) had an effect of killing older engines because it got rid of some of the crap that held some of thouse old gaskets and seals. you might want to try to break the motor over to synthetic oil by replacing one quort of dino with one synthetic at a time.

"William R. Walsh" wrote in news:NiIfb.39324$%h1.26618@sccrnsc02:

Reply to
quakeholio