How much for diesel suburban??

I am in the market for a suburban and was offered a 1998 4WD suburban with

147K miles on a turbo diesel. The truck is in good condition but I wonder how much life there is in the motor and if the very hard to shift transfer case is always that way (as the seller suggested) or if it really does not take that much force, especially into low4, under normal circumstances.

This will be my first suburban, so I really can't judge some of these things for myself, the buyer wants $10K.

Is that a fair price and what are things to look out for in particular??

Uwe

Reply to
Jaggy Taggy

Probably about average. You can get an idea of what the going price is at Kelly Blue Book:

Rich256

Sounds about right, depending on the trim and extras (leather, tow package, running boards, rear a/c, roof racks, sun/moon roof, etc.). Check out the Classified Ads at

for comparison. Definitely have a mechanic check out the TC shifting. Chronic failures of FSD or PMD - easily fixed with remote-heatsink-mounted replacement. Install an aftermarket diesel fuel filter/separator (e.g., Racor 645). Ask for maintenance records, if available (regularly changed oil is a must for diesel engine longevity). Good luck.

Franko

98 Tahoe 6.5TD 160k mi 86 Suburban 6.2NA 155k mi 81 MB 300D 155k mi
Reply to
Franko