Major sevice @ 40K miles for 03 Silverado

How much should I pay for this, and what does or should it cover?

Reply to
jmex

Never farmed it out so I cannot say what it should cost but I would, change axle fluids (if they have never been changed), Tcase fluid and tranny fluid and filter along with normal maintanance. You could change fuel filter too and check coolant level, protection level and condition too.

Reply to
SnoMan

All it should need is lube, oil and filter ($30), air filter ($35), gas filter ($60), transmission fluid and filter ($100). If it's got DexCool you should be good there, the plugs should be good for another

60K, there is no reason to change any of the other fluids (Diff, transfer case, PS, or brake) unless you have been driving thru water higher then the axle level. Prices are just a guess and are probably on the high side.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I will disagree about not changing the diff and t/case fluids at this mileage. If this truck has the auto transfer case, it's important to change the diff and t/case fluids. We see too many problems with these systems. If the front diff does not have synthetic fluid in it (usually if it's a HD version), it should be changed to synthetic and have the synthetic resistant vent installed.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

What's recommended for a manual transfer case on a 1500 - non-HD?

Thanks.

Reply to
scrape

Big misconception. These fuilds should be changed because they have likley never been changed and they will be kinda nasty in the diffs because of break in wear in them and they are all closed systems with except for vents and with no filters to remove the grit in them from wear and road dust thru vents. Myself I always change axle lube regulalry in a 4x4 and Tcase too if it is used a lot. Trucks are harder on axle lube than a car and if the lube has never been changed when you drain it you will find that it will feel gritty compared to new lube and also remeber that in a GM truck the spider gears are always spinning in 2wd because only one axle disconnects. THe rear axle GM uses in a 1/2 ton truck is not very stout either size wise and you would do will to service regulalry if you plan to keep truck a long time. Finally if you tow a lot you should change these fluid more often than 40k or so on rear axle and transmisson.

Reply to
SnoMan

"Ashton Crusher" wrote: > On Mon, 23 May 2005 10:38:37 -0700, "jmex" > wrote: > > >How much should I pay for this, and what does or should it > cover? > >

my 04 has around 36k on it, just switched out rear gears and was saprised at condition of fluid in rear diff wish i had opened it up sooner. I?m sure the bad condition has taken some life out of rear end. but rear had bene turning 37 inch tires with the stock 3.73?s for the last 4months.

Changing the fluids will let you know whats going on back there. I would definatly do it.

Reply to
Maack

Yes it can get nasty if never changed and especaily when loaded heavily too. Atleast you got it before it started to gawl things back there hopefully. THe very first change early in life is then most important one of all.

Reply to
SnoMan

Usually, just ATF, very few problems with the manual t-cases.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks. Any modifications necessary to the diffs? Is the whole change out all fluids recommended at 40K?

Reply to
scrape

Major sevice @ 40K miles for 03 Silverado Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Mon, May 23, 2005, 10:38am (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@engineeredstorage.com (jmex) How much should I pay for this, and what does or should it cover?

First off did you get your 30K done or did you skip and just doing the

40k? Pending on this will determine what you should get on your 40K S Cook
Reply to
Steve Cook

It's not quite as critical with the manual t/case. Frankly, if you are even slightly mechanically inclined, you can do this stuff yourself. If you have a 99 to 03 new style truck, you can even do the rear axle easily, as they provided a drain plug on the rear diffs in those years. I noticed they just removed them in 04. Stupid really, it was convenient having a drain plug, but it probably saved them a few cents per rig.

If you do it yourself, it's worth doing as all you pay for is the fluid. If you go into a shop and get it done, it can get quite expensive depending on where you go. It's not the end of the world if you leave it for a bit...especially with a manual t/case. The auto t/cases are a different story....they can mess themselves and the front diffs up very fast.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks. Mine's an '03. I used to do my F-150 before getting the Silverado and I think only one component actually had a drain plug - I think it was the transfer case, but don't remember. You had mentioned installing a breather in one component. Does this apply in my case or was that only for the auto transfer case?

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
scrape

In your case, you could leave the front diff alone. Just run standard 80/90 weight diff fluid in it. If you did happen to want to run synthetic fluid in it, you have to change the vent, (big black round plastic thing above the left front axle seal) to one that will not react with the synthetic fluid. The old style is black, the synthetic version is white.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.

Reply to
scrape

"scrape" wrote: > On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:47:49 GMT, "shiden_kai" > > wrote: > > >Ashton Crusher wrote: > >

Dextron ATF fluid

Reply to
SnoMan

I think it is more a issue of making sevicing more difficult so that you have to take it to dealer rather than production cost. Just like they moved the inline fuel filter to inside the fuel tank on GM trucks which makes home servicing out of the question for just about everyone now.

Reply to
SnoMan