How to change my headlight bulbs

1996 GMC Suburban K2500 4x4 7.4 engine.

Having trouble replacing headlight bulbs. Tried to change one of my dead low-beam (composite) headlight bulbs. I no longer have the owner's manual, but I do have a Chilton's repair manual that's been all but useless. For anyone interested, the manual number is 28624.

According to page 6-23:

  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable and make certain that the headlight switch is off.

Comment: I would have probably made sure the switch was off BEFORE trying to disconnect the battery, but... OK, let's continue.

  1. Raise the hood.

Comment: Wow! Now they tell me!

  1. Unfasten the two long screws from the top of the radiator support and pull the headlight assembly forward.

Comment: What two long screws? I'm completely confused here since the headlights are underneath the frame and nothing can be removed from the top to get to them.

  1. Unplug the wiring connector.

  1. Twist the bulb or, if equipped the retaining ring, to the left, then pull the bulb assembly from the unit.

To install:

  1. Position the new bulb assembly into the unit and twist it to the right. The connector should be facing down.

  1. Install the remaining components in the reverse order or removal.

It looks like the front plastic fascia needs to be removed in order to get at the headlight assembly. There are 4 screws on the top portion that are easily removed, but it is still fastened with clips at the bottom and no way to get at them. I don't want to break the fascia by putting too much pressure on it.

There may be a way to get at them by removing the battery that's behind the right-side headlight and a plastic utility box that's on the driver's side.

If anyone has any tips on replacing headlight bulbs on this model, it would be greatly appreciated.

John.

------------------------------------------------------------- Esta información ha sido transmitida por teléfono, ya que el gobierno de Cuba no permite al ciudadano cubano acceso privado a Internet. CubaNet no reclama exclusividad de sus colaboradores, y autoriza la reproducción de este material, siempre que se le reconozca como fuente.

------------------------------------------------------------ "Sólo la opresión debe temer al pleno ejercicio de las libertades" José Martí

------------------------------------------------------------- CubaNet News Inc.

145 Madeira Ave. Suite 207 Coral Gables FL 33134 e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@cubanet.org Tel. (305) 774-1887 FAX (305) 774-1807 WWW

JP

Directly above the headlight assemblies there are two screws that hold them in place. They go through access holes in the sheet metal just above the headlight assemblies. The two screws come out straight up. Then the headlight assemblies come out towards the front of the truck.

Brian

Reply to
diablo

Are these the two long screws with a very small hex head? I thought these were for headlight adjustment.

Thanks, John.

Reply to
JP

If this is a 99 there are no bolts or screws!! There are 2 "L" shaped rods that go down through the headlight assembly. Turn the "L" toward the front of the truck and pull up. The headlight will almost fall out of it. This is the simplest thing that GM has ever invented so you can't mess it up unless you are really trying and attempt it blindfolded. The screws you are talking about is for adjustment.

Reply to
George