I need more horsepower for my pickup

I have a 99 Chevy Silverado with a v6 and would like to get more horsepower out of the motor. The ONLY time this truck is used is for towing our boat. The total load that the truck is pulling is roughly 3500 pounds but there is a LOT of wind drag in addition to that. I live in a flat area. The only hills are overpasses :)

It does OK if I am running 60 mph but.... well you know. Plus I'll bet that I'd get better gas mileage with more HP on it. So........

What could I do to add more HP? PLEASE be specific! Better air filter? Computer chip (Really specific here please)?

Reply to
Fish4Fun

I've got a flowmaster muffler on it, I doubt that I will install headers.

As for more air.... what specific products would you recommend to achieve this? There are so many out there. Do those vortex air things work as advertised?

As for adding a chip to it... could you point me in the right direction?

Reply to
Fish4Fun

I'd bet if you check the book that came with the trailer, it suggests towing at no more than 60 MPH anyways. there's not really anything you can do other than putting a blower on it that will give you a significant enough gain to be worth trying, IMHO.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Ive heard that the tornado thing does work, i want one myself just dont have the $$$ to grab one

Reply to
mat

That is the one and only thing you can do to it that WONT add power. It's total crap. Google for more opinions.

Reply to
John Alt

It is a hoax.

You want H.P. you gotta burn more gas per minute. It may be torque that you crave and only stroking your engine will give you something you can feel in the seat of your pants.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

================ Dude the only real thing you can do to give it towing power is put a V8 in it. Sorry. Since its only used for towing consider selling it and getting something with a V8. In a towing situation I bet a V8 would get better mileage. Hell someone might want a pick-up with a V6 for better mileage, a good selling point for you ;)

Reply to
Scott M

What about those Airaid intake systems? Are they really capable of allowing the motor to produce more HP? Here is one I found as an example:

Fish4Fun

You'll see very little performance gain as all that's really happening is a little more air flow. Unfortunately there is more dirt flow to your motor as well. You can't really add much power to this engine with out a dramatic change like a turbo charger. That will get you some torque and horsepower.

Brian

=2475442870&rd=1

Reply to
NoSpam

=2475442870&rd=1

No, it wont help you. The only way a intake or air filter could possibly help at all is at full throttle at very high RPM. Hardly anything you need to help your torque and MPG for towing. And even then it will be next to nothing.

Reply to
Scott M

Time for a trade in. Get a v-8 while your truck still has some turn in value! There is no replacement for displacement.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

My answer is lower gearing. posi with 4.10's.

whipple supercharger or other supercharger.

better motor, GM crate motor

How can I be down