The reason for my pinking

OK, I think I'm getting close to finding the cause of this now. It appears to be the build up of carbon arround the threads on my spark plugs. If I clean the plugs, the pinking goes, but gradually starts comming back and after about 10-15 miles they are back to how the were before they were cleaned.

Any ideas what could be causing them to coke up or any ideas how I could stop it? I could just clean them after every trip ;-)

Reply to
Peter

Too rich a mixture (clogged air filter, running too cold or electronic control/sesnor fault) Faulty thermostat (results in running too cold, this causes a rich mixture) Frequent short journeys Not enough hard driving Incorrect grade of plug

James of Sunderland

Reply to
James

Could it be as obvious as the wrong length plugs? (I'm sure you've probably checked this but if you haven't...)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

The part number matches the one in my workshop manual and the one in the Halfords books. The Fiat ones which were in there when I got the car also do the same :-(

I noticed today that it's really bad when cornering :-0. Does this sound normal for pinking. Even trying to drive at a constant speed on a corner makes it pink bad. The more it pinks the more gas it needs, and the more gas it has, the more it pinks etc.

Reply to
Peter

Jesus H Christ, when are you going to listen to us and start to drive the car properly? I wonder if you are by any chance going round the corner at about 30mph in fifth.

*All* of your problems are due to driving in too high a gear for the speed you are travelling at.

There is nothing wrong with your car (other than the fact it's a Fiat).

You will continue to have problems until you accept the fact that they will not go away unless and until you drive properly.

Rob

Reply to
Robert Richards

Here's a clue: going around a corner at a constant speed takes more power than driving in a straight line at a constant speed.

Reply to
Doki

Yeah, I'm not sure whether it's because of that or because of the cornering itself. The thing is it goes REALLY bad on corners, although I do give it more gas and I am usually at mid revs (where it is worse). I did A level Mechanics so I do understand the cornering forces etc.

Reply to
Peter

No :-O. I've tried it and I just got burning oil on the top of my engine where the leak is :-(. I don't labour it much, only sometimes when cold. Yesterday, I was reving past 4000rpm and it still laboured in when I changed gear. It was partly because it was cold, up hill and had humps. I could either go the steep way, or the steeper way :-(. Normally I don't labour it though, especially when it's warm.

I do :-P

I would give you a recording of my engine sound, but I've got nothing to record it with :-(.

Reply to
Peter

It's not just the vector guff around cornering that'll slow you down. If it's got PAS it'll be working harder (certainly the case for electric PAS, not sure about hydraulic). I'm not sure if the ECU compensates by bunging in more fuel or if your right foot is meant to do it...

Reply to
Doki

It's electric on the Sei, I think it's the right foot that controls the power.

Reply to
Peter

Like I said in the earlier pinking thread, I'm sure this is a wind up. Someone is going for the Guinness Book of Records for the longest related thread.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Peter (petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Or not, depending.

Reply to
Adrian

And here we have the proof that an A Level isn't what it once was.

Reply to
SteveH

lol, what makes you say that?

I've got two A levels in it actually. A level Pure and Mechanics mathematics and A level Further Pure and Further Mechanics Mathematics :-D.

Reply to
Peter

They don'y have a great deal to tell you about increased drag in the corner though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Mechanics as a part of Maths A level is rather less in depth than Mechanics in A level Physics IME. Mostly involves things sliding down slopes and circular motion IIRC.

Reply to
Doki

I did A level Physics too :-D. There wasn't much Mechanics in Physics though. It doesn't cover things like increased drag in corners though. I didn't think of increased dray either, but I can see how it would work :-o.

Reply to
Peter

It's modular isn't it? I suspect you can do as much or as little mechanics as the Physics department at school want.

Reply to
Doki

Yep but increased drag with slip angles an optional part of Uni Engineering courses.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

well drag is definatly a compulsy part of an aerospace degrees and from what little i rememeber a car going round a corner although its changing direction its drag should stay roughly the same.

The only time this ceases to be true is when u take into account wind direction and wind speed and then is only worth considering if wind speed is high and car speed is slow drag = co efficent of drag * (1/2 air density *velocity squared)* plan area of the object

woooohhhoooo i rememebered something from uni!!!!!!

Reply to
cavemansi