Inner tie rods warn out at <80K

Went to get my truck inspected and they told me the inner tie rods have slack. They are under boots. They showed me the slack so I'm not contesting that. They passed it anyway, but I was wondering if its normal to be worn out with only 80K miles. Are they tie rods are some kind of joint attached to the end of the rack? How hard are they to replace.

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
SuperBK

Easy to change inner and outer tire rod ends. They sell a tool for the inner tire rod at most parts stores but you will need an alignment from a shop.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle

This is really quite common on Chevy Trucks!!! I've changed a bunch including my own on my own o my 2003 Chevy Silverado which had under 30,000 miles. I do have a 2/4 drop with 20" wheels, but still it's common. They are pretty easy to change out, but you'll need a alignment after they are changed. I changed Occupations for the better so I only work on my own cars these days. This is the tool I normally used, and will work for you, there are some exceptions and a different version would be needed, but this one covers most of them.

JBDragon

Thanks for the tips and the link to the tool - Brian

Reply to
SuperBK

We can't link yet but you can find the tool at any parts store.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle