Installing Subwoofers

Does anyone know what would be a good gauge of wire to use going from the battery to the amp? The manual that came with the amp was no help at all. thanks in advance.

Justin

Reply to
Justin Spencer

Justin, it all depends on the RMS power rating of your amp. General rule of thumb is 10 gauge for up to 200W, 8 gauge for up to 400W, and 4 gauge for anything up to 800W or so. Over 800W you'd be using 0 gauge wire.

I'm running an 800 watt RMS amp (1600W peak) @ 2ohms and use 4 gauge wire and a 60 amp fuse. Just remember to use the RMS power rating at the appropriate ohm level you'll be running and not the "peak power" rating to make your descision.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc's info is right, though the only thing I would add is that I wouldn't use anything less than 8 ohm inspite of the RMS rating. You need a fuse within 18 inches of the battery for safety.

Big Chris

"Doc" wrote:

Reply to
Big Chris

I use 6 ga THHN stranded (oil, gas resistant wire, on the stiff side) to power my old Sony XM-501 (I *think that's the model... it's about

10 years old).. it puts out about 150W bridged.. if I really crank it, I can still watch the voltmeter dip with each bass hit. I like to go one wire gauge bigger than required by the amp's fuse.. i.e. 8 ga for 30 amps, 6 ga for 40, etc.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase