Loud ping/bell sound

I bought a 04 Chevy Tahoe recently and its starting to make loud pinging noise, almost a bell like sound, around the bottom part of the vehicle especially after I drive and sitting idle.

The car is new and it now has about 850 miles on it but the loud sound started around the 650 mile mark. I conducted the traditional 500 mile break-in period and even changed the oil at 550. After the break-in period, I started to drive a little more normal.

I know the small clicking noise is normal because of the metal contracting but I think the bell sound is related. I'm not sure. (shrug)

Will this loud ping sound go away or should I start to worry?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Joe Stevenson

Warranty item. Take it back to the dealer and have them check it out.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Well, it looks like this is an already known problem:

Make : CHEVROLET Model : TAHOE Year : 2004 Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Service Bulletin Num : 030605008 Date of Bulletin: NOV 01, 2003 NHTSA Item Number: 10005576 Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM Summary: ADVANCE SERVICE INFORMATION - EXHAUST SYSTEM POPPING/SNAPPING NOISE WHEN VEHICLE IS HOT, AT IDLE OR IMMEDIATELY AFTER VEHICLE IS SHUT OFF.

Reply to
Joe Stevenson

See the thread on this group about the same problem and it is mentioned a lot at

It's a faulty exhaust or muffler. Mine does it and drives me nuts. (2004 GMC Yukon, started at 600 miles, now have

2800 miles) I can hear it when I am driving. The dealer told me GM is waiting on a "fix" for it for a year. Sounds like the big stall and ignore to me; He did not seem too interested. I am and others are also. Complain to GM loudly. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Reply to
plant

Reply to
plant

Well, according to the chevy dealer down the street from here, there seems to be a fix now available. They need to adjust the exhaust brackets and motor mounts per the service information. That will repair the cooling ping problem.

FYI.

Reply to
Joe Stevenson

Reply to
plant

Hmmm, if this particular bulletin is only for the 6.0L, then GM seems to think there is a problem with the 6.0L only, which is NOT the case.

I read somewhere that the "fix" was supposed to be out mid-October, which a "fix" is out now but for the wrong model?

Very confusing.

Reply to
Joe Stevenson

I just looked at the Chevrolet website and the Tahoe only comes with a 4.8L or 5.3L. There isn't a 6.0L option for the Tahoe but the same bulletin is out for it? (shrug)

Still confused.

Reply to
Joe Stevenson