low coolant

I have a 2000 silverado with the 5.3 engine. Yesterday I saw a 'low coolant' message. So I put in some water in the reserve container (that was the only place I saw to add it). I almost filled it up and the message still appears.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Qwest

How low was it? If it was empty you better have it checked. Adding plain water dilutes the antifreeze.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

It wasn't even low enough to be empty in the reserve, so I filled the reserve up.

I know that water dilutes anti-freeze but that was all I had and I only added 1/2 gallon or so.

Reply to
Qwest