Michelin LTX M&S

I got two new Michelin LTX M&S tires for my 1999 safari. So far I'm very happy with them (been a month). But I wonder if I really got Light Truck tires like I thought.

It says Michelin LTX M&S P215/75R15 on them. I've always figured the "P" means passenger! Anybody know?...thehick

Reply to
thehick

I just had a set of those put on my "new to me" 02 Silverado and I am happy with them although they are a bit on the pricey side. Mine are LTX M&S P265/75R16. The truck came with a worn out set of tires (can't remember the brand) that were also "P"s, not LT's. The tire dealer told me that they will ride smoother and quieter BUT they are not rated the same as LT's. He said unless I plan on hauling heavy loads they will be fine. I suppose you can ask your dealer or maybe research the net to find out the load difference in the P and LT ratings for the same size tire. My understanding is that the SUV market is the reason for P-type truck tires. Manufacturers and I guess buyers also wanted smoother, quieter rides even though they bought vehicles built on truck chasses.

Steve

Reply to
sundownn

And you will be even happier years down the road when you realize how many miles you get with them, and realize that the cost per mile is the best deal, not the initial price. Take care of them, avoid nails and potholes, and you could get 80K off a set.

Lena

Reply to
Lena

I hear ya....I buy a vehicle only once in a great while and tend to keep them a very long time. And I have always been happy with Michelins especially for the long mileage they get.

Steve

Reply to
sundownn

Reply to
Gary

Reply to
none2u

True..."P" used to signify Metric passenger tires, but the LT signifies light truck and the X for extra load...

good info here about the tire numbers

fill_eh

thanks for the dunlop link. still seems to me that the tires i bought LTX M&S P215/75R15 are really passenger rated (which is ok by me) and the LTX is marketing-speak. ...thehick

Reply to
thehick