My 99 S10 wont start???

I Have a 99 S10 and I have a problem where about every month or so it will randomly not start. When i try start it, all the lights flicker and it ticks really fast but doesnt turn over or even try to start. furthermore, ocassionally the security light flashes on the gauge cluster. I tried jumping it but that doesnt do anything. I had the alternator replaced with a new delco, new battery, and new starter. When I drive, escpacially at night, i see the headlights and gauge cluster constantly diming and flickering. I have ran out of ideas and am desperate to fix this problem. I dont know if maybe it could be the ignition switch because about a year ago, somebody broke in it and messed up the steering coulumn and I had to replace it but, i havent had any problems with it untill a year later. PLEASE HELP!!!

Reply to
JoshZ

Had a problem like this on a 2000 GMC Seiria PU, its something to do with the PASLOCK system, and its a real pain in the rear, the dealer has to replace the ingition swich there in the coulum and re program the paslock system, may be a modul also deep in there somwhere also, have them put it on the scanner and see whats up, why mine would do, while driving the security mesage would come on, and not cause a prob, but some times it would act up when going to start, hit the switch, engine would start and then die and security light would flash, I then have to wait 10 min for it to reset and then it would start up fine, dealer worked on it 3 times, never got it right, traded the truck at 140 K miles for a new `03 Envoy, far as I know, they never got it fixed, funny thing, traded it at the dealer that worked on it, and that dealer changed names 3 times in the few years I owned it, good luck on that security prob.

Reply to
Craig M

PASLOCK system is not capable of shutting off an engine, just keepign it from starting.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

The really fast ticking happens when you have too low voltage to keep the started head engaged. You should check your Alternator, and your belt. Then look to your battery. You didnt leave the dome light on did you? Just because these parts are new does not mean they are not bad. The flickering also points to the same situation.

Does not look like an ignition switch problem. At least not directly. headlights dimming while driving is sign of bad charging system. Cluster dimming could be sign of bad charging system or bad dimming switch.

do you have a voltage gauge on your instrument cluster?

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Make sure your battery and ground connections are clean and tight. Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

Yeah I replaced my dome light switch. Also, My truck wont restart period once it doesnt start. There is no waiting 10 minutes or anything. My batteryconnections are good.

Reply to
JoshZ via CarKB.com

Well probably you had multiple problems. If it was not for the ticking I would have said its a problem with the alarm. I had the same problem with mine which was aftermarket. Are you the original owner? Does it have an aftermarket alarm now, or did it ever have one?

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

It doesnt have an alarm, and i am the second owner and the previous owner never put any type of alarm on it. It has been in the shop for the last three days and today I was told by the mechanic that they traced it down to possibly the ignition switch or the alternator cable.

Reply to
JoshZ via CarKB.com