My Report :-)

You may recall that three months ago I asked some questions about the TH700R4 transmission in my van. Scrib Abell, aka Marsh Monster, aka Nubbs McFarkle, et al, assured me that having my transmission flushed would cause irreparable damage to the transmission and that it would soon be inoperable. I agreed to report back 3 months later about the results. Here's the report:

Currently has 108,450 miles. No worse in its shift characteristics. Have driven about 10k miles in the last three months, including a 700 mile round trip and numerous 200 mile round trips.

If anything, the transmission flush helped. The fluid still looks and smells pristine. I just baby it by trying not to allow full throttle shifts. Thanks for all your help. I'm sure to need it in the future.

CJ

PS: The text of the above mentioned thread is available here:

CJBrown

R4%2BCJ%2Bgroup:alt.trucks.chevy%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8> %26safe%3Doff%26as_drrb%3Db%26as_mind%3D12%26as_minm%3D10%26as_miny%3D2003%2> 6as_maxd%3D21%26as_maxm%3D1%26as_maxy%3D2004%26selm%3DDSclb.23410%2524Ee6.23> 294%2540nwrddc01.gnilink.net%26rnum%3D1 The old 50's myth about the dire consequences of having a clean transmission has been passed on from father to son. Your experience helps dispell that myth.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

Makes just as much sense as saying cleaning a small-bore rifle will damage the accuracy. Bull shit.

~KJ~

R4%2BCJ%2Bgroup:alt.trucks.chevy%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8

%26safe%3Doff%26as_drrb%3Db%26as_mind%3D12%26as_minm%3D10%26as_miny%3D2003%2

6as_maxd%3D21%26as_maxm%3D1%26as_maxy%3D2004%26selm%3DDSclb.23410%2524Ee6.23
Reply to
KJ

You're right KJ. I always cleaned my rifle after a match (or practice) and I flush my tranny regularly. And yeah, I've never had to have an automatic transmission repaired on any of my vehicles and they all worked fine when I finally retired the vehicle. Rich B

Reply to
Rich B

Does flushing replace the oil in the TC as well? Is it done with the engine running or just pumped through with the flush machine? B

Reply to
Battleax

I think that the fush done t the garage changes all the fluid in the TC as well but I'm not positive about that. When I installed my cooler on the Burb, I rigged up a little gizmo that allows me to change the fluid with the engine running. I installed a brass "T" in the one line with a small spigot in the center of the "T". After making sure that the transmission is full, I drain a quart of fluid out at the "T" (into a

1-qt. Mason jar) and pour a fresh quart into the tranny. I do this until I get nice clean fluid coming out of the spigot. It usually takes about 10 qts of fluid when I do it this way. I was getting charged $99 at the dealer to flush it and even with the cost of the brass hardware, I'm ahead of the game. BTW, I change the filter every two years (about 24,000 miles). To keep from accidently draining the transmission, I screw a brass plug into the end of the spigot after I'm done.
Reply to
Rich B

I think that depends on the particular machine. the one that the local trans shop has (they did my trans) basically lets the trans pump out the old fluid while pumping in fresh fluid from the machine using the coolant loop. they used the machine on my truck to cure a TCC chatter prob under warranty. (it was a "let's see if this will do it", there's a convertor on the shelf there with my name on it, just in case) it did cure the problem in about 50 miles and has been perfect now for 3 or 4 months.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase