need help replacing fule pump on 1999 chevy 3500k crew cab

I need instructions on next step to replace fule pump, as of now i have the straps holding tank loosened and wireing harnes un done, NOW WHAT? thanks for ony input mike

Reply to
hunt4food

Top Post!!!!!!! Maybe um Fuel lines and Filler tube?

need help replacing fule pump on 1999 chevy 3500k crew cab Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Tue, May 17, 2005, 6:35pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com (hunt4food) I need instructions on next step to replace fule pump, as of now i have the straps holding tank loosened and wireing harnes un done, NOW WHAT? thanks for ony input mike

Reply to
Steve Cook

Remove fuel lines. You need to get the tool which is available from Autozone to undo fuel line clamps. Once you remove fuel lines, you can lower the tank to the ground provided you removed the gas filler hose and grounding strap from the truck bed. Once on the ground you can remove fuel pump and replace. Reinstall by reversing the order of removal. May want to change your fuel filter while you are at it.

It may have been easier to lift the bed then to drop the tank, especially if the tank is full when it went out.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

"hunt4food" wrote: > I need instructions on next step to replace fule pump, as of > now i have the straps holding tank loosened and wireing harnes > un-done, NOW WHAT? > thanks for any input > mike

yep, it was the pump....got it....thanks, it would have probally been easier to take off the bed and just lift it out, but got it out and going to put new 1 in tomorrow, and filter..thanks again for the help, your more than welcome to come and put the new 1 in tomorrow......what a pain.. 8O

Reply to
hunt4food

no thanks... been there done that on our 89 2500 , 92 K1500, 89 K1500, 95 Blazer, 95 Jimmy, and everyone needed a sender unit because the tubes where they meet the fuel lines were rusted off. Both K1500's also needed the entire fuel lines up to the front. They all went at around 170,000 miles Good luck...

Reply to
69CamaroSS

Why some of the Chevies and GMC's fuel lines have those flare nut/power steering style fitting that are guaranteed to rust solid, which necessitates both a hacksaw and a new sending unit when replacing a fuel pump is beyond stupidity

Reply to
ken

Maybe you can cut the fuel line a ways back from the sending unit. Then get a compression type coupling. I of course have no idea if this would work or not.

Reply to
Slap