New Chev/Gmc trucks unimpressive

I'm currently driving a 90 gmc sierra 2wd, manual trans, 305. I've been thinking it may be time to buy a new truck so I went out and test
drove a few Chevs and GMCs. Well the GMC front is just too ugly to even consider, Chev has a slightly better looking front. What's with the bumpers? Huge bulky plastic things hanging off it, totally out of proportion. How many friggin wrap around headlights/bulbs do I need Interior is small, cramped, and cheap. I don't need "smart seatbelts" and I really don't need a passenger airbag enable light in the rear view mirror. The salesman kept mentioning a "hydroformed frame", "stronger and lighter", which to me means thinner and rustprone on my salty winter roads.
I just thought, there's no way I want to tie up 20 grand in one of these.
I'd consider the smaller truck but I need 4 feet between the wheel wells.
I think I'm going to look for a nice 96 or there abouts. or maybe just throw a few grand at the old 90 and keep it going for a while.
i have a 1999 tahoe and it is just right . old john

20 grand, what are you looking at. That must be the stripped down cab only. I just looked at a new Ford F 250 with a diesel in it. They offered 22 K for the 04 GM 2500 with less than 12k on it. Total make up money? another 24K Plus tax. Total OTD price $48,000.00 for a P/U truck!!!!
GM want 35K for a new version of the one I have already add another 5k for the diesel.
--
Steve Williams

"Battleax" < snipped-for-privacy@thistime.net> wrote in message
Thanks for Checking in! I know I'll sleep alot better now knowing your thoughts on the new trucks. So, was there anything in particular you were looking to accomplish with your post, or just piss and moan?
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 20:26:15 -0400, "Battleax"

" Well the GMC front is just too ugly to even consider, Chev has a slightly better looking front. What's with the bumpers? Huge bulky plastic things hanging off it, totally out of proportion. How many friggin wrap around headlights/bulbs do I need" If it's style you're looking for,that's one thing. But if it was me I'd fix the one you have and keep it well maintained. I drive a '69 GMC every day and work the hell out of it.Just regular maintenance.( It looks pretty good too)-Joe
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 20:26:15 -0400, "Battleax"

I've got a 2006 Chevy and am very happy with it. Since the square style of '73 - '87 I had been resistant to change but I test drove this truck and just had to have it. - V6 - Overdrive auto - Regular cab - 8' box - 2 WD - Air Had the box treated with Line-X spray in bedliner and moved the spare into the left front of the box by using a slightly modified spare tire carrier from an old square body I had kicking around.
Starts well in the cold winters and the heater is awesome. We live 30 miles from town and those headlamps you dislike are to die for. They even light up the ditches and have a chance to see those long-legged ditch rats before they leap in front at the last minute and NOBODY plays chicken with your high beams. Not one other vehicle I have ever owned had the peripheral lighting this truck does.
Can only pick on the inability to shut off the headlamps when a deer or moose is on the road and the windshield has so much curve that the passenger side wiper takes a set and only touches at the tips until it is in use for awhile. Makes it hard to wash the windshield. Oh yeah, the juice is wasted too low on the windshield to be of much use. Too bad they seem to like those hoses up the wiper that waste so much fluid.
All in all I like this truck. I am just turned 54 years old and this may well be my last truck. - Regards Gordie