97 Chevy blazer dash lights won't come on when key first turned on

The subject pretty much says it: when I turn my key into the on position, all of the peripheral stuff comes on (cd player, temp/compass, etc) but the dash lights don't light up. This also results in the fact that I cannot start it, though when the key is turned to crank, it cranks just fine, but doesn't fire up. I've read in different groups that this might be in the bulkhead connector (where is this?) or a solenoid (doubtful) or even something to do with the ignition switch or ignition cylinder. If anyone has experienced this problem before, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!

Reply to
tschaefer0