not a chevy, but it wanders

I have a 76 jeep cj5. 6 inch shackle lift, 3 inch body lift, 35 inch tires. replaced steering box, checked all joints (tie rod ends, ect.). It wanders down the road at any speed above 10-15 mph. ive run out of ideas that could cause this. could having 6 inch shackles be causing to much positive caster? any help would be appreciated. Also, addition of steering stabilizer had no effect or change on problem.

Reply to
diamondjim

It may be a combination of too much caster, too much shackle lift leading to suspension flex under steering loads and short wheel base. You need to lower it some and rethink tires size too if you what better stabilty. Maybe 33 with a 3 ot 4 inch lift. Also if you have not regeared it the chssis torque flex to drive rear axle and short wheel base can cause instabilty to with changing power setting.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Ditch the shackles and the wonder will go away. You want to lift it do it right and get the correct arched springs, there isn't a large enough wedge to correct the caster the way you are now, not to mention the side to side flex in the bloody shackles, Things should have been out lawed eons ago. And CJ-5's were always a hand full on the highway, the short wheel base made them superb off road vehicles, but you never relax driving one on the road at speed.. The other option is to get the front axle under the spring, instead of on top of it. But wither with springs or relocating the axle, plan on replacing u-joints often.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Ahh, I was watching Trucking on the weekend and was wondering why they were always trailering their offroad vehicles....I found it humorous that they can climb almost any hill but can't go on the smooth highway ;)

Reply to
JD

Isn't that true on Any CJ? My buddies stock-ish 86 CJ-7 seams to need them every 3 years (he only runs 31x10.50x15 tires). This year front and rear drive shafts got new u-joints. Both front axles got new ones as well. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig