Oiled Foam Air Filters: Worth The Risk?

You mean you "prefer to accept" I guess.

Look. This is really simple. Someone makes a claim. Unless that claim is backed up (documented and identified) you could be (1) accepting false information, or (2) rejecting accurate information. It's not a case of take it or leave it when you want the best data. It's WHERE and WHO does this data come from. "Trusting" doesn't have a damn thing to do with it.

No offense, friend, but you don't read very well. Nobody's "knocking" what was said. I only want to know WHO said it and what his bona fides are.

Does that make sense to you, or am I really talking to a brick wall?

I'm f> >I am NOT a guy making extensive, authoritative-sounding claims of > >undocumented

-- "Don't undertake a project unless it is manifestly important and nearly impossible."

-Edwin Land

Reply to
Robert

Does it matter who said it? Is it that hard to take it just for what it is?

Oh I bet you have to have the last word. The brick wall

Reply to
Rhbuxton

I'm still using my K&N and don't plan to quit...

Reply to
Jimw

I've had similar results with oil analasys and K&N filters. More dirt and wear metals in the samples when using the K&N.

K&N filters are a big scam for the most part. They claim huge horsepower gains, yet I could take the air cleaner completely OFF the engine and not see as much of a gain. Fraud.

People who buy into the K&N scam are pretty foolish if you ask me. It's usually the same group of people who buy into Splitfire sparkplugs and cat-back exhaust kits.

-Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

Cat-back exhaust kits provide more significant horsepower and torque gains for (NA and turbo) diesel engines. Quite general of you but diesels do not have sparkplugs (Splitfire or platinum).

Franko

information, or (2)

Reply to
Franko

Since when have I been talking about diesels?? No shit they don't have sparkplugs... thanks for the insight sherlock.

Cat-Back kits on a diesel? Well, unless your diesel was made in the last few years it won't have a cat on it. Any diesel I own is going to have a straight-pipe exhaust on it anyway... no cat or muffler.

-Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

Hence the "general" word, so perhaps you could be more specific.

They also call them soot traps on the diesels and there's a big market for cat-backs for them. Most dieselers who install the cat-backs gut the innards of the trap before installation.

Sherlock

Reply to
Franko

Well since I was talking about sparkplugs in the same post, I would have hoped you'd be smart enough to figure out that I was NOT talking about a diesel. Guess I have to spell everything out for certain people...

As long as you use mandrel bent tubing when you do the exhaust, there's really no point in buying a cat-back kit for a diesel. A

3.5-4.0" straight pipe exhaust will give you all the HP and torque gains you could ever want out of an exhaust system. To hell with the stupid cat/soot trap/trap oxidizer or whatever term you want to address it by. If you're going to put on a cat-back, you might as well do ALL the exhaust from the turbo housing back.

-Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

Well since the whole thread was talking about K&N filters (used by gassers and dieselers), you just happened to lump in sparkplugs and cat-back exhausts in your generalization. That's all I was pointing out but since I was hoping you'd be smart enough to remember what we were talking about, guess I'll have to remind certain people what they just said.

I agree with you, though, on the mandrel bent tubing right from the turbo housing. The costs are just to high to have custom made jobs, not to mention the type of tubing (stainless, aluminized steel) plus the installation. Stiff fines in certain states if caught removing or gutting them stupid (yup, I agree on that, too) soot traps.

Franko

Reply to
Franko