Air Filters

Hi All

I was wondering is there any major air flow difference between the oil bath filters found on the 1300sp in 1970 (the one where the inlet is on the left of the engine) and the ones found on the 1600dp engines?

I currently have this oil bath on a 1600dp with the smaller 30pict2 carb, and it seems to be running rich despite having a 125 main in the carb. Could the smaller air filter be choking it?

Many Thanks Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Good thing you ask Kevin, I'm also wondering if my air filter is the right one for my stock 1600 AD. I have a cylindric aftermarket one:

somebody told me that it wasn't the best option.Can any of you give us some master lectures about air filters? thanks Ant

Kevin wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Dear Kevin,

I doubt it. The typical oil bath air cleaner has considerable excess capacity. This of course assumes the coir element has been properly maintained.

For some reason a lot of people don't clean the coir element, which is supposed to be soaked in solvent, sloshed and drained, then wetted with kerosene and allowed to drain. (Maintenance spec sez once a year or as required, which can be once a day (!) in a severely dusty environment.)

I've seen some oil bath air cleaners that had not been cleaned for a number of YEARS. Hard to believe the engine would still run. When they get that bad it can take a week of soaking & sloshing to get all the crud out of the coir mesh.

Clogged air filter usually arrives with a complaint of poor mileage and displays evidence of running rich.

-Bob Hoover

-PS - Coir is a vegetable fiber (ie, coconut husk) having a hollow core and unique triangular cross-section that gives maximum catchment area for dust particles fine enough to negotiate the flow-reversal 'corner' above the oil bath (which traps over 99% of all other particles).

Because it is a vegetable fiber be careful to use only the recommended solvent for cleaning and only kerosene for the wetting agent. (The hollow core appears to act as a reservoir for the kerosene, which is what locks the particles to the fibers.)

Reply to
Veeduber

Thank you very much for the advice Bob.

I used petrol to clean it out, not sure if this is a recommended solvent. But never used the kerosene this is the first I've heard of this!

Thanks again! Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

On Mon, 3 May 2004 19:35:08 +0200, "Kevin" scribbled this interesting note:

Kevin,

Your question has been answered already. Again, by Bob.

John Willis

Thanks John for the link! I tried a search on google but I must have missed that post!

Thanks Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin