OT: The Guesser Prevails!

Hello all...

Fuel pump went out just recently on my dad's '88 Buick LeSabre...not a big deal, but it pulled that stunt with a nearly full tank!

Siphoning didn't work (it would seem that there is a blockage in the filler tube) and we didn't want to drop the tank while it was full of fuel. Destroying the tank wasn't an option...

So....I disconnected the fuel line from underneath at the point of the filter and fed it into a gas can. Then I located the fuel pump relay behind the glovebox, read the printing on it, took a guess and jumped the terminals I thought would stick the pump on.

Turned the key...and perfection! The pump struggled and probably did its last bit of work, but the tank ran dry very soon.

Just one question: Why did the fuel gage go bonkers (full beyond the gauge limit) while draining the tank?

Nubbs, is that service manager position still open? ;-)

William the Successful Guesser (!)

Reply to
William R. Walsh