Question about Van

My father-in-law has a '86 Chevy Van 20. He recently got it painted again and was needing new tires. I was curious about that truck. It currently has only about 150K miles but is very low maintenance.

Is it a 350 with a TBI?

I've googled and can't find any answers.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Natalie Glover

on Sunday 23 September 2007 11:17 am, someone posing as Natalie Glover took a rock and etched into the cave:

Dealers keep this information?

Heh. I had no idea. I figured they just kept current stuff.

Will do, thanks!

Reply to
PerfectReign

If it's a 350 TBI look for RPO L05 on the glove box sheet. AFAIK this was only available on 87 and up. If it says LS9 or LT9 it's carbureted.

Reply to
Augustus

Pull the air cleaner and look/ Surely you can tell a TB from a carb.

Reply to
Meat Plow

on Sunday 23 September 2007 01:40 pm, someone posing as Meat Plow took a rock and etched into the cave:

Dude, you give me way too much credit. :P

Actually, I've yet to ever look in the engine.

Get this - speaking of engines, there's a guy on ebay locally selling a '84 Suburban 6.2L.

He's pulling the engine from the '84 and replacing his '97 6.5L with the

6.2L. Interesting...

I mailed him to see what he plans with it. I'm intrigued...

Reply to
PerfectReign

I I suppose it's probably TBI

Don't you mean he's selling the 6.5?

Reply to
Meat Plow

on Sunday 23 September 2007 02:54 pm, someone posing as Meat Plow took a rock and etched into the cave:

I don't know what he's doing with the 6.5 yet.

Hey, that'd be great in my Avalanche. :P (Actually, I'd love a duramax in tehre...)

Reply to
PerfectReign

on Sunday 23 September 2007 01:40 pm, someone posing as Meat Plow took a rock and etched into the cave:

Can I tell you how hard it is to find a VIN decoder for an '86 truck??

I'll have to take it to autozone or something like that.

Sheesh!

Reply to
PerfectReign

The VIN doesn't specify whether an engine is carbureted or fuel injected.

Do you honestly think those McDonalds rejects are going to know?

It's carbureted.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

on Monday 24 September 2007 04:15 am, someone posing as aarcuda69062 took a rock and etched into the cave:

Oh, okay. On my Jimmy, the VIN mentioned TBI or SFI. I've yet to decode my Avalanche.

ROTFL!

I figured.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Have you tried

I have subscriptions for all my vehicles. I was able to determine from the RPO codes that my saturn has a shorter gear transmission. Lots of useful information there.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Riegert

Hi!

There is a table printed in my 1984 GMC Sierra manual that would disagree with you...it shows the VIN codes for each type of engine and what type of fuel delivery system is used. Of course, at that point, the only difference was # of barrels on the gas engines.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

A given engine code may reveal whether the engine is EFI or carb, but as I stated earlier, it is not by law a requirement for the fuel system to be specified. IOWs, big difference between "an engine" and "the engine."

Reply to
aarcuda69062

on Wednesday 26 September 2007 10:17 pm, someone posing as aarcuda69062 took a rock and etched into the cave:

Yeah, I was just referring back to the VIN on my old Jimmy. It specified

4.3L vs. 2.2L in the VIN.
Reply to
PerfectReign