Radio Lock Question

I am no mechanic but thought I'd save my self a couple of bucks by changing my own battery. All went well until I fired the truck up and turned the radio on and saw the display "Loc".

It's an '01 Silverado 1500 with a factory radio in it.

Did GM find a way to get the do it yourselfer to crack the wallet open?

Ed

german300sbcglobal.net

Thanks

Reply to
Charlie Dog

They found a way to make your radio unattractive to thieves. When in doubt, RTFM and save yourself some $$. Tell the dealer we said "hey"

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Or, you could search for "unlock codes" using your favorite search engine.

When in doubt, ingore crap like the above and save even more money.

Tell the dealer to find an honest way to make money.

Reply to
scrape

Hi!

It's one of those wonderful "features". Maybe I'm in the wrong part of the world, but I don't know of anyone who has ever had one of these things stolen. (I do know people who have lost aftermarket systems, though.)

The idea is that if the radio should lose battery power, a code will have to be entered the next time battery power is restored to the set. Before the set locks itself out, you can retrieve the security code from it. Afterwards, well...you have a few options:

  1. Go the dealership, prove ownership of the vehicle, pay some amount of money and have tunes again.
  2. Find someone on eBay who offers this service and pay their price. (Also probably not cheap.)
  3. Google around and see what you can find. (Never heard of this approach before, but it might work...)
  4. Dump the factory radio and install an inexpensive aftermarket set. Then you'll never have to worry about this happening again.

And for the next time: read your manual, retrieve the security code and keep it around so this never happens again.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I did exactly that when the original poster posed this question and found the solution within a couple of minutes along with dozens of people complaining that the dealers would lose money once this info was out.

There are also cheap, 12V sources that you can plug into your cigarette lighter to keep power to the radio when you swap out your battery.

Reply to
scrape

I did the same thing, called the dealership and they told me how to fix it. Two questions first... did you have the radio programmed for the theftlock feature (i.e. did a little blinking red light flash on your radio when the ignition was off prior to your battery swap)? Do you have your owner's manual for this vehicle?

Let me know. Depending on your answers, I might be able to coach you through this.

Mark

Reply to
Mark E. Bye