radio station / clock light 95 suburban

I noticed that the radio station/clock light on my 95 suburban no longer works. I get radio stations ok. The rest of the dashboard lights are fine and the dashboard bright/dim thumbwheel works also. Any ideas about this out there? Thanks JD

Reply to
JD

Replace the part.

Reply to
Bill

Is the indicator replaceable, or do I have to replace the entire radio? JD

Reply to
JD

That should be a "head" unit and you would need to replace that.

There is probably a separate amplifier lower down. Might find one at a wrecking yard for not too much. Be sure to get the same exact kind. Might take a picture of yours along with you. Some have slight variations on the buttons.

Reply to
Bill

Burnt out incandescant bulb?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't know. I don't know how to get back up in there to check. I think it is an lcd. JD

Reply to
JD

The display is a vacuum florescent. There are lights also behind the scan, seek, buttons. See if, at night the scan/ seek are backlit.

If yes, then the voltage to run the VF is good, and the VF has failed (heat/ age). If the scan/ seek are not on then there is no voltage.

That voltage comes from the variable dash lighting thumbwheel. You might havfe to turn it to full bright to see the lighting on the scan/seek. It's not real bright. Usually, cheaper to get a junkyard pull than try to replace the VF. Sometimes, the local auto sound installers have extra OEM radios, after putting in a custom system. Doesn't hurt to make some calls.

Reply to
Miller

And there's always eBay. I replaced an OEM head unit in a Jeep I had several years ago for about $50. But do a little homework and make sure you are getting the same thing you are replacing (particularly the mounting points for the unit and the wiring harness connectors).

Reply to
Phil McCracken