Re: 1991, S10, V6, 2.8, AC, grinding noise?

When the AC cycles on the pulley makes a grinding noise that vibrates the > truck.

> When the pulley is not spinning it is quiet. > Is the compressor gone, needing replaced? > If so, can the compressor be replaced easily?

It could be the bearing gone to pot, but replacing it means a new clutch assembly, almost as much cost wise as a new compressor. 91 was still R-12, so this might be a good time to upgrade to R-134a. And stay away from rebuilt R-4 compressors. You can buy brand new AC Delco for the same price as rebuilt 4 seasons. Replace the dryer, replace the orifice tube, flush the system thoroughly, vacuum it and have it charged. Find a good ac tech who does a lot of retros, 134a will cool as well as r12 if the pressures are right, and the fan clutch is in good shape. I did mine a couple years ago, lost the exap. this summer, shop owner I took it to I've known for a while, when he was done, it cools better than it ever has. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

You know, I have noticed that R134a cools excellent in a retrofited R12 system. But why doesnt a R134a system cool the same as a retrofited system or better. Being its newer you would think it would.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

I think a major problem today is the condensers and evaporators are too small in a lot of cars and light duty trucks. My job causes me to use rentals on a fairly regular basis, and I try to rent different models each time. The GMs aren't too bad over all but the Caviler and the S-10 pickup I rented earlier this year left a bit to be desired, Chryslers cool well except the Neon I rented last year, and fords don't cool worth a damn. Also cabin design plays a big part. My S-10 Blazer blows cold air, 41 degrees on high fan with an outside temp of 96 degrees humidity in the 60% range, at a fairly decent air flow, but the heat gain from all the glass can tax it sometimes in the summer (I am in Florida). I got a friend with the same year only a pick up and his air will drive you out of the cab.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

What year did the S-10 switch to the R-134a cooling system? I'm looking for a real nice GMC or Chevy S10 to drive to work to save some miles on my Sierra '04. I don't want to buy a headache if I can help it.

It could be the bearing gone to pot, but replacing it means a new clutch assembly, almost as much cost wise as a new compressor. 91 was still R-12, so this might be a good time to upgrade to R-134a. And stay away from rebuilt R-4 compressors. You can buy brand new AC Delco for the same price as rebuilt 4 seasons. Replace the dryer, replace the orifice tube, flush the system thoroughly, vacuum it and have it charged. Find a good ac tech who does a lot of retros, 134a will cool as well as r12 if the pressures are right, and the fan clutch is in good shape. I did mine a couple years ago, lost the exap. this summer, shop owner I took it to I've known for a while, when he was done, it cools better than it ever has. Whitelightning

Reply to
Ann Meffert

Then keep your Sierra. Mini-trucks are NOTHING but a headache from start to finish, and you WONT beat the gas mileage on your f/s.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

I TOTALLY disagree. My '92 S-10 is a TANK! It has 187,000 miles and all I ever have done to the engine is a new distributor. Other routine stuff, sure but overall this is one tough little monkey. BTW, it does not burn oil.

Others must think so too... I get folks all the time wanting to buy it.

I wish I had another exactly like it.

Reply to
Drumstick

my 89 s-10 234,000 miles 25 mpg 4X4 been plowing snow with it since 1995 Everything Original except for the spark plugs

Reply to
Santa

Hi!

I must say that I disagree, even with the rattle in the door that won't go away, I still love my S-truck and have no doubt it will last a long time. The main reason I got it was because the full size trucks looked goofy!

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Reply to