Re: 1996 Silverado XLT

Hello, I have 1996 Silverado XLT -w- a 305 "M" code engine and 4L60E tranny with 185,000+ miles. It has no leaks but uses about 1/2 quart every oil change. I figure at about 200,000 miles I might consider replacing the motor & rebuilding the tranny. I'd like to go up to a 5.7 Vortec and fix those issues often talked about with the 4L60E (I haven't had any trouble with mine). My question is, I have little information on the newer Bowtie or small block performance items or the Vortec line of block/heads. Is there a newer version of the old GM performance books I had back when I was building my 63 Biscayne or 57 Apache that can help me find the right 4 bolt block and high flow heads to rebuild for this? I don't want to go radical performance but I would like a little more power and dual exhaust with the shorty headers. I'd like to keep external appearance stock and only go larger on the injected port and the headers. Maybe a nice higher flow air cleaner. ME

Reply to
ME

Well, Been some time since I posted this. Was hoping for a response with some help. How do you get info in this newsgroup?

Reply to
ME

I used to frequent this newsgroup regularly as it was a great source of help. The old regulars don't seem to be here anymore. Sorry but I don't have an answer for you, best of luck.

Reply to
George

Oddly enough I found that when I started "Upgrading" my 7.4L in my 96 GMC 2500 SLE. A great place for ideas was GM Performance plus. Just browsing over their HP engines and comparing notes on the stock to ZZ series motors helped to determine how radical I wanted to go. Then I found a guy at the local GM dealer that I have frequented for a few years now. That seemed to know his stuff to help with the tweaking. Also I've gotten some reasonable ideas off of auto parts stores websites.(Summit, Jegs, Advance, Etc!) My best advice is to start researching than figure where you want it to go!

Reply to
Daveman