Re: Suburban "Lights Out!"

check the taillight harness connector, should be on the driver's side frame rail. they have a habit of wiggling loose.

-Bret

Here's a question for any truck electrical system experts. I have a > 1990 GMC Suburban K-1500 with a 350 cid. > Truck came with auxiliary halogen stoplights in the upper corner of each > side of the rear (tailgate) window, very much an amateur installation, > but they looked good and worked good, until.... > > The other day when the left rear turn signal/brakelight failed. > Neither the "auxiliary" nor the "normal" stop light is receiving power. > The other side was fine, but I disconnected both "add-on" halogen > stoplights (they look like driving lights, but have a red lens) as I > discovered the wiring was hooked directly to each side of the turn > signal/brakelight line with NO RELAY in evidence (poor engineering), and > I never thought to check when I got it as BOTH sides worked fine! Until > the left side quit... > > Now is this an easy fix? Or is going to require HOURS of laborous > testing at the local GMC/Chevy dealer? Is there a particular place in > the wiring I could look to effect an repair myself? Could this be a > wheel column turn signal control problem? ll fuses seem ok, the left & > right FRONT turn signals are fine...it's just the left rear turn > signal/stoplight that has failed. Any help will be gratefully received. > I can do almost any kind of shade-tree repairs, but automotive wiring > leaves me cold. > > > Thanks for any responses, wisdom, > well-meaning criticism, etc. > -RFB > > > -- > "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an > invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write > a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort > the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, > solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program > a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die > gallantly. Specialization is for insects." --Robert Heinlein > >
Reply to
Bret Chase