Re: Transmission cooler oil line removal?

"DonW" wrote

What is the procedure for removing the transmission cooler lines where they > connect to the radiator? The fittings on my Envoy is different than the > inverted flare fittings use my older GM vehicles. I've done a google search > and the "hits" on removal tools seems to be mostly for Ford. Also is there > a source for buying male/female fittings? I'm in the "thinking" stage of > adding an aux. cooler and don't want to cut the lines if I can avoid it.

If you are referring to the connections that use a small retaining ring to keep the line in place.....you just pop off the plastic cover and then pry out the ring. It's open ended, you just have to find the end and pop it out. When you re-install the pipe, install the clip back into the retainer first and then just push the pipe into place.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks Ian..... that's how I thought it might connect but until you do something for the first time, best to know what you're getting into!

Reply to
DonW

There's a tool for those quick connect lines. You don't "pry" or "dig" out anything! Jeeeze.... Can you spell shadetree?

But seeing as they do have quick connects, cutting the one line is probably going to be the best way. Just be sure you go through the radiator THEN the new aux cooler. If you get it backwards, you might just as well not do it at all.

Reply to
Steve Barker

"Steve Barker" wrote

I can't spell shadetree, but you seem to be intimately acquainted with the term. You have no clue what you are talking about. These quick connects do not need any special tools other then a pick or small screwdriver of some sort. I probably disconnect and connect these types of quick connects at least 5-6 times a day depending on what my work load is. I've been working as a dealer technician for over 24 years...I don't work under a tree, though in the weather we've been having lately, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Now "that's" shadetree!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Seeing as how the aftermarket cooler does not come with an adaptor for that particular type of fitting, the only choice is to cut the existing line, put a slight flare on it and clamp the aftermarket hose to it. And YES there is a tool to release the quick couplers. The chevrolet manual does not say "dig it out with a nail file" or whatever.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Once again, facts triumph over attitude!

Reply to
Battleax

ROFL! Hey, I've always wanted a K-M screwdriver. But I do like the picks.

Chip

Reply to
Chip Olestra

And once again the facts prevail over the bullshit. Speaking of bullshit, where is Barker tonight? Bob

Reply to
Bob