Re: How to remove quick connect fitting after breaking

"Jim" wrote

I broke off the plastic tabs that were suppose to be squeezed to remove > fitting and now all that is left is a plastic ring inside the fitting. I > have tried a disconnect tool with no luck. I hear a metal clip inside but > don't know how it is formed or how to release it. Any ideas? See attached > picture.

You should still be able to pry the plastic retainer towards the pipe with some small screwdrivers. It might take a bit of fiddling, but you should be able to do it. Disconnect tools wont work on this style, as the retaining system is different.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks for the tip.

Are you suggesting to insert some small scewdrivers between the quick connect housing and the plastic sleeve that remains inside and pry inward towards the fuel filter stem? How does the retainer work? Will prying on the plastic cause the retainer to unlock? Do I need to push line towards filter before applying screwdrivers?

I already tried pushing a couple feeler gauges into this location with no luck in hope to unlock the retainer from the connector wall. I also inserted a plastic tube around the fuel filter stem and pushed into connector with no luck in hope to unlock retainer from fuel filter stem.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

"Jim" wrote

Yes

The retainer works by releasing the plastic tabs inside the fuel filter housing by way of those tabs that were broken off.

Yes

Yes, that is necessary so that the tabs that are locking the line into the fuel filter can be released.

Right, that wont work as these retainers have to be pushed "towards" the fuel line, which is away from the fuel filter itself. You are thinking of the fuel lines up at the fuel rails on the engine that need a sleeve pushed along the fuel line to release it. Different setup.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Good idea! I will try one last time to get the original off.

I take it there is no special tools or precautions when working with the nylon fuel line. Do you suggest a plastic or metal coupler and/or filter when connecting to nylon.

Thanks,

James

Reply to
Jim

This is among the least critical jobs you will do this month -- pretty close to picking the right brand of toilet paper...

Look over a few inexpensive HP filters at your local Pep Boys, and pick anything that fits your mental recollection of what's left after you've cut away the GM-proprietary stuff. If you must add some line, there are cheap couplers for that. I do this on every car in the family - trivial, honest.

Reply to
OORAH!!

I had the same problem with mine. I took some small screw drivers and inserted them inside of the housing and pryed up and the metal tabs came up. There are 4 of them in there and they are not that tough, just the way they are bent makes them hold the filter in.

Reply to
Barry