Rear differential puzzle

Long story, but here are the highlights. DANA 44 axle, the pin that holds the whole business together apparently came loose and broke about

1-1/8" off the end where the retaining pin/screw goes. In the process, it hogged out the hole in the carrier to an oval I can stick two fingertips into. To further screw things up, it seems that metal shavings/dirt/crud worked into the space between the pin, and the opposite spider gear, so the pin won't slip to get it apart. Can't budge the pin with an air hammer. We have the new parts, but can't get the old carrier out. Since the pin refuses to budge, we can't get it apart. We cut the carrier into two pieces, thinking we could gain enough to get one of the C clips to come out- no luck. We're at the point that we are going to start grinding/cutting gear teeth to make room for something to come free. Not enough space to get a cutting tool to the pin. Anybody have any advice, other than swapping the entire axle?

Thanks in advance, Mark

Reply to
Mark and Ellen Smith

Have had luck in the past using a large punch and a large hammer to beat the pin out. GL

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Large two arm gear puller on the retaining bolt side of the cross shaft. Tighten it up and then hit the wrench end with a five pound hammer. Tighten up and hit, till the cross shaft comes out. The problem is there is still part of the retaining pin in the assembly and you have to snap it to get the cross shaft out..

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

You can try dry ice and heat together. Heat the out side metal to get it to expand. Then cool the pin with dry ice. Dry ice is -109.3°F so be careful not to handle it with bare hands. I recomend a pare of pliers to get it to the pin. If you do not have a convient source for dry ice get a CO2 fire extinguisher. Hold the nozzle a few inches away from a bock of wood and blast it with the extinguisher. The white frost is dry ice. Take some with your chosen pliers and place it on the pin. The pin will shrink due to the cold. With the surrounding metal warmed up from the torch the pin will be loose in the hole. This is the process used to assemble zero clearance parts.

Reply to
Lew Pratt