Recall

Got a recall notice on the tailgate cables on 2002 Chev PU several months ago. Said basically don't put anything heavy on it because we are having porblems with corrosion with the galvanized cables. We will send you another notice when we get the replacement stainless steel cables in stock. Has anyone gotten the second notice to actually have them replaced?

Could be worse, when recalls first started, an NCO in my outfit got one on Audi fron brake (disk) bolts which said we don't have the right bolts yet so don't drive it because the brakes may fall off.

Reply to
Mike Powers

I got my recall notice on mine sometime around april or may saying the same, but never herd anything more. I asked and was told that the new cables will be in sometime in the early fall, at which time another letter will be sent saying to make an appointment to get them replaced.

Reply to
Chris

Does anyone know what years are on the recall? I've a 1999 K1500 that has the cable supports. But I've never received a notice.

Thanks Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

They are now in stock up here in Canada, because I've replaced a couple sets already. Very little wrong with the old ones, so they are getting snapped up by the techs around the shop for their own trucks.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

NHTSA site says 2000-2004 Silverado and GMC plus 2002-4 Avalanche and Escalade.

Reply to
Mike Powers

. . TOP POST

GM Recalls 4 Million Pickups Address:

PM on Sunday, August 1, 2004

yw

Marsh ~:~

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D (cancern Does anyone know what years are on the recall? I've a 1999 K1500 that has the cable supports. But I've never received a notice.

Thanks Brian =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

TOP OF YOUR POST

Thanks for the link.

Brian

+++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

PM on Sunday, August 1, 2004

yw

Marsh ~:~

========= ========= (cancern Does anyone know what years are on the recall? I've a 1999 K1500 that has the cable supports. But I've never received a notice.

Thanks Brian ======= =======

Reply to
el Diablo

Not all 2004 Silverados are affected, because a dealer VIN check on my truck showed that my truck is not included in the recall. My truck was built in February 2004, and it apparently already has the new and improved stainless steel cables.

Now, I can have tailgate parties without the fear of falling on my ass. Well, at least as far as having the tailgate collapse is concerned.

Reply to
One-Shot Scot

. . I SEE YOUR TOP POST.... AND RAISE ONE MORE TOP POST

yer welcome.

Marsh ~the devil made me do it~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

snipped-for-privacy@spam.not (el=A0Diablo) wrote:

TOP OF YOUR POST

Thanks for the link. Brian

+++++++++++++

GM Recalls 4 Milli Does anyone know what years are on the recall?

I've a 1999 K1500 that has the cable supports. But I've never received a notice.

Thanks Brian =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

No notices so far on my 02. Thanks for the heads up. MR

Reply to
MR

Never anything beyond the initial notice of the issue. Still have that letter on hand. Wonder what they would do if the cables broke months later with no replacements? Fix the tailgate body work FREE?

No. I'm sure GM would find a way to worm themselves out of it....

V.B.

Reply to
vb

I'm just curious. why just 2002 vehicles? My 96 tailgate cables have rusted thru twice. Don't they rate a recall? THe same with ball joints, I've had to replace them three times yet the recall didn't go to 96. I feel lucky that the my wiper motor got covered. I won't even go into how many times I've replaced the 4 wheel drive actuator assembly (well, OK 4 times)

Reply to
JMagerl

I haven't heard anything about the new cables being in yet. But while were on the subject of Chevy trucks is anyone having trouble with brakes on there 2002 Silverados? I have had calipers freezin up on mine at

33,000 miles. Seems kind of premature since i do all highway driving and usually get 60,000 out of a break job. Also is anyone having trouble with excessive valve train noise? I brought it back to dealer and they showed me a bulletin on piston slap being normal for all the new V8's I don't think my noise is piston slap it sounds more like lifters to me. I traded in a 95 chevy because it had a low end rod knock at 75,000 and i didnt think putting $3000 into a 6 year old truck was worth it. So i traded for a 2002 and now it's a piece of crap too. Ford, Toyota , here I come. Ahhh they all stink!
Reply to
Randd01

The laws are:

It is ultimately the owner of the vehicle's responsibility, to prevent any damage. Should there be a failure requiring service or a recall, and the parts for the service or recall are not available.

Like if someone runs a red light, and you hit them on purpose, you will be a certain amount at fault. You must do all with in your power to prevent an accident or any damage.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

I will be taking my '02 2500HD in to have the rotors looked at. They are so pitted with rust that they look like it has sat in a field instead of being driven every day. Never have I seen rotors pit like these. Sure looks like bad metal to me.

So basically one can't use the tailgate of a truck at all because they would say you knew the cables could break at any time.... Never mind the fact we can't seem to get you new cables in a respectable time.....

Yep, sounds like a worm's answer!

In to the dealer today for oil change and tire rotation. Said now September for new cables. They would have replaced the old ones with new old ones if they were broken or obviously about to be.

Reply to
Mike Powers

Seems a lot of people are having trouble with brakes on the new trucks. I know of 4 people now. I was lucky my dealer replaces the left front caliper, turned both rotors and replaced the pads under warranty. My friend was not so lucky he had 22,000 miles on his and his rear brakes locked up and they charged him $1200 to repair it. I told him to write to GM and get his money back as 3 year

36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty means just that!
Reply to
Randd01

Rear calipers are just a problem waiting to happen. In snowy slushy winters the rear calipers get hit with all the salt spray and seize up. Rear drums were great, low maintainance and they were sealed away from all the road salt. Also, another level of complexity is introduced with "drum in hat" style emergency shoes/bands. Braking performance is a different matter though, pads are better.

Reply to
Richard B