S10's Out

Are they going to stop making these?

Reply to
RoverDogRX7

Not immediately, but they will be phased out probably in '05. The colorado is their replacement.

Reply to
Jason Cothran

please show a picture of the colorado

bud jr.

Reply to
Bud Lite

I heard that the S10 will live on as 'crewcab, 4x4, 4.3 Vortec' version.. and that the Colorado will fill in all of the gaps up to that spec.. long live the S10..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

scrape at nc dot rr dot com

It was confirmed quite some time ago that the S10 will be going bye bye, I just don't remember the year. I will have to go back and check my old Motor Trend, C&D, etc to find out lol. It seems like it was 2 years after Colorado production began the S10 would be gone, but I can't remember the exact length.

Reply to
Jason Cothran

Another grotesque monstrosity from GM.

Reply to
AZGuy

So would you advise against buying one of these now? I'm trying to get some dependable transportation since my '78 Silverado is dying and salesmen keep trying to get me into an '03 closeout S-10 reg cab, 4 cyl. for around $12,000. I think I'd die in that thing.

version..

It was confirmed quite some time ago that the S10 will be going bye bye, I just don't remember the year. I will have to go back and check my old Motor Trend, C&D, etc to find out lol. It seems like it was 2 years after Colorado production began the S10 would be gone, but I can't remember the exact length.

Reply to
Ann Meffert

They stopped making all but the crew cabs. Word is that the plants are producing the Colorado/Canyon already...

Reply to
Mike Levy

yes, this thing is somewhat ugly looking all right.

Dodge has had the best looking trucks for some time in my opinion.

bud

Reply to
Bud Lite

12k sounds a bit high for a reg cab 4cyl 'closeout'. Discounted, yes, but still a bit too rich for what you would be getting. Just my 2 cents and maybe way off base.
Reply to
Jason Cothran

I've seen it displayed a couple of places and it looks pretty nice in preson. Maybe the pictures aren't very good.

Reply to
scrape at nc dot rr dot com

I thought the Dodges looked great when they first changed body styles. Now they look like a cartoon version of themselves. Just an opinion.

Reply to
scrape at nc dot rr dot com

Ann, trust me... If you like your '78 Chevy, you will hate the newer S-10's.

My 2000 GMC Sonoma is the cheapest piece of shit I've ever owned. I bought it for good mileage and reliability. It has both those, but the body and interior are so cheap that the thing will ptobably fall apart in the next few years. I can grab the plastic bumper and wiggle it, as well as the grill and the whole front end for that matter. Makes me glad that I still have the good old '72 C-10 and '87 K-10 around. What ever happened to quality engineering? Methinks it ceased to exist somwhere around the end of 1987.

Anyways, I think you'd be better off spending a couple thousand dollars to keep your good ol' Chevy running.

Just my 2 cents...

Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

I think it would be worth it if they paid you the 12k, then you sold the truck. You could get any '78 Silverado going just fine for $12 and be much better off for it, or find a new '78 Silverado with 44 swampers and an 8" lift. God anything but the econo-box 4banger from hell!!!

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Actually, the S10 is almost done already. The only S10 you can buy for the

2004 model year is the Crew Cab 4X4. Regular and Extended Cabs are no longer made. As for the Colorado, I think it looks good with the proper trim. I actually like the Extended Cab 4X4 model with the Z71 package, fender flares, etc. Of course, I am a salesman for a Chevy dealership in Ohio so my opinion is probably a bit jaded. I need to like them to sell them. I will say this though, the new inline 3500 5 banger has much better power than the old 4.3 did. The ride and performance is far better than the S10 ever was.

Don Nelson

Reply to
<dnelson

Actually, according to GM's powertrain website, the 3500 I-5 has 20 more HP and 35 LESS lb-ft of torque than my 94 4.3L had when new. IMO, torque is where it counts for a truck. I believe my 94 had 195 HP and 260 torque when new.

I do like the design of the truck, but unless I feel a seat of the pants improvement, I'll save up a little more and buy a full-size >Actually, the S10 is almost done already. The only S10 you can buy for the

Reply to
Mike Levy

I still fail to see what the advantage of a 5 cylinder engine is. Why would you want to start with a naturally unbalanced engine?

I think GM has to try new stuff just to say they did it. And it's bit them in the ass every time. 350 diesels and piston slap come to mind...

Heaven forbid they leave well enough alone and stick with what's worked for over 40 years. That would make too much sense, what am I thinking?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

I'll bet they are smoother at idle and under heavy torque than the 4.3. Don't get me wrong, I like the 4.3 as I have one with almost 200K on it and it's running strong. If I had my choice, I would tell them to put the old Chrysler 225 slant six in the damn things. That was one of the best inline sixers out there.

Actually, the old 5'er has been around for decades. I think Audi introduced it? If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. What I remember is that it really was a great working engine, but a little long for the small European cars.

Change is good since they have a reason to charge more for a "new and improved" model.

Rita

Reply to
Rita A. Berkowitz

european cars have been using I-5's for YEARS.... I've personally never heard anything bad about them. I *think* a significant portion of Volvo's gasser engine line are I-5's

piston slap isn't limited to GM's, you just hear about it more cuz this is alt.trucks.chevy.

nobody ever said the 5.7 disel was a good idea, it was merely a quick fix to fill a niche. the 5.7 was great if you lost the diesel top end and slapped gasser heads on it. my uncle had a '82 or '83 diesel Caprice back when I was in HS... it cracked a head and he slapped on a set of heads (and intake) from a '72 Olds 350 (more or less the same block) and kept the factory diesel roller cam. when you ran it on 93 octane it would absolutely punish the tires, if you tried regular, it would barely run.. the CR (IIRC) was almost 13.5:1 on that thing.

emmissions laws are what push new engine designs. I'd say GM simply couldn't get the power required out of a good ol' Gen I small block while maintaining ever tightening emmissions. sometimes you just need to move on. one thing I learned while working for the good 'ol US Gov't years ago..... just because a decision seems stupid, it doesn't mean it is, because most likely, you only get told what you needed to know, not the whole picture.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase