S10's Out

You should drive one before making that decision. The 2004 model 4.3 (still available in the S10 Crew cab and in some of the full size half tons) is rated 190 HP at 4400 RPM and 250 ft.lb. torque at 2800 RPM. The new 3.5L I5 is rated at 220 HP at 5600 RPM and 225 ft.lbs of torque at 2800 RPM. So, it actually will make 30 more HP and 25 lb-ft less torque. It feels good when you drive it. I think it's also good that they finally came back out with a complete range of styles, including regular cab, extended cab and crew cab models...all available in 2 and 4 wheel drive. The fuel economy is better also. I owned a 2000 model S10 ZR2 and loved it but the fuel economy left a bit to be desired. I went to a full sized Z71 with a 5.3 and got as good and often BETTER fuel economy than the ZR2 did.

Don

Reply to
<dnelson

Funny somebody else should mention these issues. I have 96 long bed S10, and it's been nickle and diming me since I bought it. My frontend has had a chronic problem with drifing at highway speed, and when driving in a straight line, there's almost a full 1/4 turn of free play in my steering wheel.. it's the most annoying thing I've ever experienced. I've replaced the $500.00 fuel pump alread, rebuilt the engine last fall, and the evap still causes problems. Under sustained throttle the engine cuts out, skips, and the truck bucks until I pull out of the tthrottle and let all of the cylinders come back online.

I was told by the Chevy dealership that there's nothing wrong with the frontend, and that the possible cause of the steering problem was being caused by too much weight over the rear axle. At the time the only weight over the rear axle was the fiberglass cap that was on the truck when I bought it...approximately 100 lbs.

If it makes it till spring without any major failures, out comes the

4.3 and 4l60E. amd in goes a 5.7 with a 5 speed. with none of the hoopey electroniics to cause any more problems.

Reply to
Lazarus