S10 third door handle

I have an '02 S10 which I've replaced the third door inner handle two times now and it just broke again after about six months use. When you get a replacement from GM thewy only wrranty it a year from the purchase date of the original replacement. I guess what they're saying is "we know this part's design is deficient and we're not going to make it better. Anyway, I'm not replacing it again if and until I get some advice on how to make it last longer than six months. It's always the plastic part that breaks. The tension on it weakens it until it snaps. I'm guessing that the two rods that the handle pulls in opposite directions need to be adjusted in a particular way. Any clues anyone? Thanks

Reply to
dale

It broke after 6 months but has a 1yr on it. Take it back and have them replace it.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

As I said I've already bought 2 of them so the warranty is out.

Reply to
dale

I don't get it. You said it has a 1yr warranty. Why does it matter how many in the past you bought ? If that were the case, Have a friend buy one, family etc.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

does it always break in the same place? Could it be beefed up with epoxy? Lube the latch and make sure nothing is binding.

Reply to
ScottM

It takes quite a bit of force to open. I'll lube the latches. I'm not an engineer but common sense tells me that when the plastic handle pulls left to right and that action is converted to a force pulling upwards on one rod and downwards on another, there's a lot of torque there--too much for the cheap plastic part. There must be a recommended way to adjust those rods or this would be happening to everyone with a handle like this...

Reply to
dale

The one made by JTR comes as a single piece (not an assembly), but with an excellent set of instructions (including pix).

Those billet handles on ebay are nice. Mine wasn't even broken yet and I got a billet one just because I thought I'd fix the problem before it becomes a problem

Motormite Part # 74300 is a perfect replacement for stock. It certainly isn't flashy but it is cheap at around $8.00. Available at any parts store that sells the HELP! brand parts. I went without one for 3 years because I didn't want to go to the dealer

Reply to
Pete

Sounds like you have rust or dirt built up in the linkage. The handle shouldn't take much force to operate the latch. I would pull the inner door panel and check all the linkage and lube it. Also look at the bushings and latches on the operating rods for wear.

Reply to
Steve W.

I like to rinse them out with brake cleaner, before relubing. I've tried an assortment of lubes. On the electric release for my back window, I used white lithium in a spray can. And then it stopped working. I rinsed the latch out and used PB Blaster, from NAPA. Now, it works fine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

tells me it is still under warranty. Each time it breaks the new 1 year warranty starts again. I am heading there to day to get it replaced for the 4th time. I hope that I will not have to pay this time. I have asked the dealer if there is a recall, but he said no. When the warranty is over, I will just by 4 or 5 parts and change it out myself.

Reply to
j47gash