New 93:So how is it?

Just wondering - now that the new 93 has been out for a couple of years, how do owners feel about it? I havn't been on this site since I sold my '94 900S in '03 and I'm curious as to how well it has been received. Is it better than the previous generation re: reliability, performance, cost of ownership, etc. What to the magazines say about it?

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
stagman

I have a 2004 9-3 Aero. Overall I like the car a lot. The only problem is the passenger seat belt warning going on on hot days. Hopefully there will be a TB for this and a new sensor design.

Reply to
Dan

There is a huge difference between the new 9-3 and the old 9-3. In fact, I don't think nary a single part was carried over from the old 9-3.

The reliability/quality leave much to be desired. I had a number of initial quality "bugs" all of which were quickly resolved by the dealer. However, as Dan mentioned, the passenger seatbelt warning indicator does come on in hot weather. My guess is they used a heat sensor and not a pressure sensor in the seat. This is fairly minor.

One other unfortunate quirk is the number of squeaks, rattles and buzzes in the interior. This is one thing engineering should have paid more attention to, as it does distract somewhat from the overall experience. Afaik, they have not addressed this as yet (as of 2005 model). Having owned Saabs in the past, this is one thing that unfortunately has carried over. (although I did notice the 9-5's have utterly silent interiors, aside from a noisy 6). There are a number of owner web sites that detail how to fix these noise issues on your own. The dealer actually did fix at least one squeak for me (the ACC fascia was squeaking like hell from day one).

The performance is incredible (having had the opportunity to really thrash one around (not my own) I gained an immense appreciation for the car's features and performance). The cost of ownership, if new, is 0, given the warranty/scheduled maintenance.

If you hold tight, the 2006 9-3 lineup (due in Sept) will add the sportwagon (Combi) plus a new 250hp v6 (holden/gm global v6) engine option for all

9-3s. Saab claims 0-60 mph acceleration of 6.9 seconds, with the V6.

If you're looking for the 6-speed manual gearbox, wait for the 2006s, as you won't find a single 2005 with one (supply issues).

- tex

Reply to
Tex

"Tex" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Yes! Just listen to that enginesound in the beginning of this clip - pres "Spela" on the right:

- turn up the volume... ;o)

Besides, rumour has it, that a 300 Bhp 4x4 will be avaiable later on.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

I've had a few quirks with my 2004 9-3, but nothing that required the dealer. Fuel guage dropped mysteriously to zero once, the radio shut off a couple times by itself, the remote stopped working twice. Nothing major.

I've never had this problem. If I have something on the passenger seat, the seatbelt light will sometimes come on. I've never had it happen with nothing on the seat though.

I've got a lot of squeaks and rattles too. It makes the car seem very cheap when three or four things are always rattling. My rattles are from the doors and B pillar. No problems with the fascia so far.

Reply to
Shane Almeida

"Shane Almeida" wrote in message news:IZidnXdBkt snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

After some detective work on my aero, I discovered it was both the metallic door trim and electric window control buttons that were rattling and buzzing. Low frequency vibrations seem abundant on the door (due to normal engine operation and the audio speakers). As the warm weather has slowly settled in, I figured the noises would get better, but the contrary has been the case, even more have cropped up.

These buzzes/rattles have been frequently discussed at saabcentral.com. Here is one guy's page I found detailing how to fix a good number of them:

While I haven't tried these fixes as yet, I may if I have time this weekend.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Just noticed this link seems to have gone down, hopefully, only temporarily. I did manage to mirror it here from my cached files (yes, i will make author aware of mirror ;-).

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Thanks, Tex. Let us know if you try those fixes. When I installed my trailer hitch, I discovered lots of very flimsy plastic clips that break way too easily. Based on that experience, I'm a little hestitant to follow instructions that include warnings like "It will come off with a bit of a bang!"

Reply to
Shane Almeida

You know until I read this thread I assumed Saabs didn't rattle and squeak.

My '93 9k has a squeaky clutch action but I guess I need to grease something.

The noise of the brake light relay is mildy irritating when in town traffic sometimes.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Yes a dollop of Castrol grease solves that one. While you're at it, go a trip round the door hinges, bonnet and boot hinges.

Reply to
Johannes

"Shane Almeida" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Went well. Only had time to do two doors this weekend (i want to do the rear doors next weekend). I added another pic to the instructions to make it more obvious. I had misunderstoood the directions (for panel removal) on the first door and ended up breaking the two plastic parts holding in the door pulls (no biggie as the door handle still holds sturdy, at least for now).

In any event, the door pull handle actually pops off fairly easily (at least easier than what was described as a "bang"). I just used a small screwdriver to gently unsnap the plastic. Once off, just unscrew the torx screws hidden deep within the sockets.

I'm still evaluating the actual effect on the door rattles, but sofar so good.

see:

I also added a pic of the foam i used. I used a ridged urethane foam (1/2" to 3/4" thick). Makes for a snug fit when refitting the panel.

- tex

Reply to
Tex