Silverado Z71 1500 Crew Cab - Dealer/Factory or Aftermarket Bedliner?

Hello All -

I am in the midst of purchasing my first Chevy pickup truck and I came across this group. I have enjoyed reading all that's going on and what everyone has to say about their experiences.

My question is, the truck that I am buying doesn't have a bedliner in it yet, the one from the dealer is roughly double the price of an aftermarket (penda, duraliner). What are the pluses and minuses of each, can anyone help?

Through this group I have already decided on installing Westin Platinum series side steps, K&N Air Filter (until the FIPK is EPA Approved), and I have added a Westin Bull Bar to my Christmas wishlist.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Does the dealer put the bedliner on themselves? My dealer sent my truck out to Tuff Liner.

Reply to
James Del Mul

I am curious as to what post(s) here gave you the idea that K&N air filters are a good thing?

You should probably re-think that one.

Reply to
Commentator

werecked an engine myself with a k&n wouldn't do that you must of miss read something no one here likes them

Reply to
Jeff

Truth is if you run a K&N filter you may as well not use a filter at all. They're only good for stopping pebbles and sand from entering you're engine.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

I've owned two duraliners and they have held up very well. Make sure you get the protective piece that goes under the Duraliner other wise it will chaff all the paint off your new truck bed, because they all shake a bit going down the road at 65 mph or better. :-) Someone posted the fact that those K&N filters void new truck warranties. The post included a dealer TSB that stated if I am accurate, that if a truck comes in for engine work with one of those K&N filters in it, do not repair under warranty. But the Duraliner will hold up even if your new truck is parked in the backyard with a siezed up engine from choking down excessive dirt!

Reply to
Randd01

I have a dealer installed GM liner in my Canyon. Are you suggesting that I should remove it and put some kind of mat underneath it?

Reply to
Commentator

I have seen some of the damage caused by just putting the bedliner over the paint. You would be amazed what it looks like after a couple of years. One truck I saw was down to bare metal on all the high points of the ridges in the bed. The mat is nothing more then 1/8 inch of a closed cell foam type material. It goes up the sides about 6 to eight inches and is flush with both ends of the bed. Nothing fancy but it makes a big difference. If you have a cap on your bed you may be able to get away with out one as the wind can't get at it to vibrate it. I think The Duraliner dealer in my area charged $35 for this mat. I have a Leer cap on my truck but I got the mat anyway.

Reply to
Randd01

Don't even bother with a slide in bedliner, they do more damage than leaving the bed open. Get a good spray in liner, (Rhino or Line-X are the top two) and you will be happier.

Side bars are OK but can be fun when getting in/out if they are out to far. I wouldn't EVER put a K&N on a vehicle unless I really wanted to ruin it. GM has issued a TSB about them wherein they void the warranty if the oil gets into the sensors, (which happens because they are an OILED filter) Plus they do a real crappy kob of filtering the air. Bull bar is fun until you need to work under the hood.

Reply to
Steve W.

Get a spray on liner. Those bed liner not only reek havoc on your bed underneath, but they don't always fit perfectly. The spray-ons always do, however.

Reply to
Joe Smith