Slightly OT: Damn grease gun leaking all over the place...any suggestions?

Short of wrapping it in a garbage bag every time I go to store it, does anyone have any recommendations - containers that they fit into nicely, ways to stop them from leaking, etc?

Thanks...

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

Hi!

I don't use a grease gun that much, so I've never had to deal with one leaking...usually I just use the grease tube "directly" with some kind of stick to dip grease out with...

But...if you need to use the gun to dispense the grease...is there any way to take the pressure off the tube after you're done using it? The grease inside all the tubes I have doesn't really seem to leak out that easily...

If that's not it, how's about getting one of those plastic bags that something like a bedspread or an electric blanket comes in? That should be big enough to hold the whole outfit and most of these bags have snaps or a zipper so you can open and close them easily...

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I fold the nozzle back, flexible on mine, and wrap the gun in a rag, (terrycloth towel to be exact) and store it in the same place always. b

Reply to
Battleax

I have a grease gun my father bought at Sears 40 years ago when I was a kid so I could roll under and grease his car and change the oil. My father's gone and I'm the old man now. It still leaks. I figure it is just the nature of the beast. I wrap it in a rag between uses. FWIW

Reply to
D F Bonnett

===================== Buy a new one.....:)

Reply to
Scott M

LOL, that's what I was gunna say. Mine leaks ever so slightly at the top of the cylinder, maybe a nickel-sized puddle between lube jobs, whichare every

3 months or so.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Reply to
Bobo

Personally, I made a leakproof case with a zipper, like a gun case, for my main lever action grease gun. I store this and a few more in a plastic tub because they all will leak a little. Here's one tip: Buy a higher quality grease or try a different brand. If your grease is breaking down in the tube, what do you suppose it's doing on the job? Same thing.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

SNip

An excellent point. MR