Filling a grease gun

Ok, so I have this nice "flea market" find grease gun and so I trot down to the local parts store, buy some grease, take it home and with eager anticipation, I "attempt" to fill it up.

Wow, what an ordeal (all the time I'm doing this I have my neighbor's moronic Chihuahua barking incessantly which didn't help my analytical skills). So I figure I should be able to slide this tube of grease (which fits nicely inside the grease gun tube) into the grease gun tube and use the plunger to push the grease from the paper tube into the grease gun tube BUT the plunger doesn't fit inside the paper tube so I end up with a stick and a straw scraping out the grease and filling the gun manually.

After I got it in there it worked ok.

This grease gun looks pretty hefty duty. The plunger has a spring on it and the hardware isn't cheap-o.

I'm thinking perhaps the previous owners had some other way to fill the gun, yes?

So, any instructions on how to fill a grease gun?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

William Oliveri did pass the time by typing:

:)

That depends on the grease gun. You probably have a gun like mine that can be filled from a larger grease drum. i.e. it doesn't use a tube. Check the top for a real large zerk style fitting. If it has one that is where you would pump in grease to fill the gun.

Other than that your going to have to hand-pack it as the piston fits the outer tube exactly. Somewhere they make a device for squeezing out the tube grease, it looks sort of like a caulking gun but with a larger hole in the front and you use it to press the grease into your gun.

On the bright side, once filled you shouldn't need to fill it again for quite some time.

Reply to
DougW

You are correct miestro. It has this zerk fitting on the top. OTOH, I used it to fill my new clutch assembly do-dad (bellcrank) and although I know the bellcrank volume is not equal to the grease tube volume, the plunger has come down to the base of the tube as though it was empty. This doesn't seem right, does it?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Well it's been determined you have the older or maybe a "HEAVY DUTY" style. You can also fill it by slightly loosening the pump end to let air in. Then pull the plunger out and put it in the "cocked" position. Completly unscrew the pump end. Insert barrel end into 5 gallon can of grease then uncock and let it slowly release. Insert end into grease and slowly pull plunger out and c*ck it. Then partially screw pump end on and uncock the plunger and let the air out. Tighten pump end. Or get one that takes cartridges. What you have is for a high volume application.

Joe

Reply to
Jo Bo

My grease gun opens at both ends.

The cardboard tube of grease comes with a pull top on one end and a plastic cap on the other open end.

The cap comes off the cardboard tube and it slides in the gun then you pop the pull top tab.

Now before you start all this and open the gun, you need to pull the plunger's T handle all the way out against the spring and when there tip it sideways and turn it. The rod will lock in the full open position. If you notice, the hole the rod goes through is actually slotted to one side.

This gives you a metal screw cap with the rod sticking out and plunger right there at the top all spring loaded ready to go.

You then open the squeeze handle end, pop off the plastic cap on the tube slide the card board tube in and pop the pull tab and screw the handle end back on.

This leaves the gun with a grease tube in it, cardboard end down toward the plunger and open so you can now carefully screw the plunder end into the open cardboard tube. Watch when you turn the sucker, the handle has to be held sideways as it rotates as you screw the cap on or it will sproing open.

You also can just open the squeeze handle end of the tube, stick it into a grease barrel and pull on the T handle filling the tube. Once again when the handle is all the way out, it tips sideways and locks there so you can put the handle back on.

In both cases there is a fitting on the handle end to let air out if needed.

Or some have a zerk on them so you can use another grease gun to fill it, but that kinda seems silly eh? You still gotta fill the 'other' gun....

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

some pics.

no, that doesn't sound right. Some of those guns could use tubes and bulk. I forget if you used bulk there might have been a steel tube that got left in the gun or a different plunger seal. Mine won't take tubes so it just gets filled with a good all purpose grease.

Might see if your gun is in one of these service books.

DougW

Once the piston is up against the grease, the T handle and rod are free to move all the way in.

Pumping the T handle in and out also is one way to force air out to the end for bleeding or just to get the gun to pump more volume.

The pumping volume drops if there is any air in there.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:

And be real careful not to knock the T handle out of the little notch till you get the top back on. Trust me. :)

Reply to
DougW

LOL!

I will double that!!!

I did mention the 'sproing' factor in another post...

Oh boy does is sproing good...

Mike

Mike Romain

Wow...such detail!! You don't have a "grease gun" fetish do ya Mike? ;) kidding!

didn't you say you were going wheeling with a buddy? How'd it go? pics?

Reply to
SB

LOL!

I am just very familiar with the things and have learned the tricks over the years or cursed at enough of them while hand filling them to figure out all the damn things I have run into will take a tube if you do it the right way!

Mike

SB wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Mike, please come over to my house and get my grease gun situation squared away. While my little guns always seemed to work ok (just not enough grease capacity), my big grease guns (they use grease cartridges) including my air actuated grease gun give me fits much of the time. They must get air inside of them which prevents all the grease from getting used, that's all I can figure out. Oh well.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I have one, too - It used to be in the Union 76 station in town. Mine is against the wall on one of those furniture moving dollies. I just wheel it out & hook up the air hose when I need it. If you are ever in Yuba City & need a lube job.........stop by. I have enough grease to do my vehicles & everyone I know for the next 10 yrs....

Reply to
Carlo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III