Clutch problems

I have a '65 Coupe with the 6cyl. Every time I stop and go to shift into 1st I have to grind the gears to get it in gear. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem. Do I need to just adjust the clutch? Thanks, Rusty

Reply to
Rusty

Johnny K

How do I adjust the clutch? I haven't ever had to adjust one. Rusty

Reply to
Rusty

The trans in a 6 cylinder car does not have a synchronizer on first gear. You won't get it into first if the car is still moving. Buy a shop manual from any Mustang vendor and follow the procedure. It is not difficult to adjust the freeplay in the clutch linkage. Too little free play and the throwout bearing will wear out prematurely and the clutch might slip. To much free play and the clutch might not disengage.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

The problem isn't when the car is moving it's mostly when it's sitting still. Rusty

Reply to
Rusty

Reply to
Andrew Paule