the dreaded leaking 3.4

We can rebuild it....my pontiac trans sport 3.4 that is.

I made a mistake a few years ago with a $700 Volvo a that has left me leery of buying vehicles that already need repaired. I, however did not see any repairs in my near future when I bought a one-owner 1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana. It had normal miles on it(about 80,000 at the time) and was running nicely. Got a pretty good deal on it too...only I had never heard about the dreaded intake gasket leak which I have now discovered to be ubiquitious across nearly all owners' experience.

Now I have experienced the whole milky oil thing and determined that a rebuild was in order as I am a pitifully disciplined oil changer and let it go far too long.

Problem is, my discipline at keeping track of where things go back in is as bad as my oil dilligence. Got it apart, got it to the machine shop and am getting it back together, but...there's so much stuff to stick back on that i'm scratching my head. Took some digital pics but mild brain damage has prevented me from taking them in any reasonable sequence to show my disassembly so that I can reverse the process. The hanes (sp) manual is not much help here as it doesn't really say much about all the various and sundry brackets and holders so prolifically attached to the block. Hmm. Seen any sequence pictures anywhere? Did anyone do this job and take good pictures? I'm stuck with a borrowed 88 Caravan whose gasoline and oil consumption are about proportional (1 qt to 1 gal) and would really like to get back to my nice van.

Any help would be a help Thanks Tim Robinson

Reply to
tar905

"tar905" wrote

If you post your pictures and ask more specific questions, I can probably help you.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Thanks for the offer Ian, but, being new to this forum, I don't know where to store them for viewing and although I have a bunch of pictures, they don't really show me all the little bracket thingys in their proper settings. I saw your post on another thread and tried to contact you personally. No joy. I am up to re-installing the oil pan and broke a bolt in the block. Nice huh? So, off comes the oil pan and the reason I broke the bolt is probably that I am trying to put the wrong ones in it. Newbies and engine repair... Tim

Reply to
tar905

Just curious, if this was DIY removal and reinstall, how did you get the motor out and how are you putting it back in? Most DIY don't have the luxury of a lift to drop the whole subframe as a unit.

Did you replace the cam?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

tar905 wrote in alt.autos.gm

Here are a couple of suggestions about your pictures. You could set up a website and upload the pics to it. And take more pictures of what you have questions about. Setting up the website will be quicker and easier than anything you have done to your car so far. You can go to

or any number of other free webservers. They will guide you through the process of setting up a site. And you can add pictures as you work on the engine and need help.

Reply to
Dick C

You might try your local GM dealers parts department. See if you can get exploded views of the engine accessior mountings. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I set the brake, chocked the rear tires and started jacking. I had to do it incrementally as my floor jack will only raise 15 inches. Presently, it appears to be sitting at about a 23 degree angle. This has contributed to an unpleasant smell in the dormant passenger compartment( a leak somewhere). I then hooked up a rented engine crane to the two loops on top, relieved the pressure on the mount bolts and dropped the sub-frame onto the legs of the hoist. That part was okay, but then came the fact that I have 8-900lbs of engine and hoist on a gravel driveway. That involved a come-along and the trailer ball of my pickup. Some of my pictures are of it dangling there. My disorganized brain was only pricked to the idea of using my new-fangled digital camera about the time the engine was ready to come out....after the wires were all loose. No luxury involved. Bought myself a 45dollar engine stand for the rebuild but I really haven't yet worked out the getting it back in schtick. I'd say it will involve a furniture dolly and some OSB sheets to roll it into place before heaving it back up into the engine compartment. I have bled surprisingly little during this project. Tim

Reply to
tar905

Thanks, people for the responses. With the help of a shade tree friend, who, btw happens to own a Venture with coolant smell, I just about have this puppy ready to stuff back in the van. All the little brackets have graciously consented to find their way back to their proper places and now the grunting and lifting and stuffing begin. The accessory routing is looming before me as I remember what a pain it was to get the transmission lines and power steering stuff pulled loose. Steering stuff too. (long sigh). It might have been easier to just let a gm mechanic do it, but I'll have saved more than 1000 dollars doing it in my garage. Tim

Reply to
tar905