Starter

The starter on my '94 Cheyenne, 4.3 L, with 146k has just started not engaging the first time I try to start the truck. The second try it engages and starts normally. Is the starter going out?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Stockton

Maybe, but first clean all the electrical connections to shiny-bright and re-tighten properly. Disconnect the positive side of battery before pulling any connections off.

Reply to
Mike Copeland

If the starter is spinning but not engaging the flywheel on the first try, it's the starter that's going bad. If NOTHING happens at all, then your advice is a good starting point, but it could also be the ignition switch itself.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

could be the solenoid , not getting full voltage or just dirty. clean connections is not a bod place to start. no pun intended. Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and the government when it deserves it. -Mark Twain

Reply to
veteran

I cleaned the positive battery cable (it had quiet a bit of corrosion) and the starter hasn't missed a lick since. I appreciate all of the help you guys gave. Thanks

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Stockton