Recirc not activating on vent

I have a 2002 Silverado 5.7L. Recently the recirc button has stopped working. The light comes on but the door isn't making the move. Is this an electric motor that moves the door or is it vacuum activated? Has anyone encountered this problem? Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Brad

Reply to
breimler

I'll make a guess on this and say its an elect motor (vacuum motors seem to be going away nowadays). First thing I would check is the switch. You cant see anything under the dash to tell how the door is controlled?

Reply to
ScottM

Ok, I finally got a chance to dig into this. I've found that you are correct, and that it seems to be that everything is electric motors. I found the one that changes from cool to heat and from vent to floor/ defrost, but i can't find the one that chances the recirc. I haven't completely taken the dash apart yet (I'm trying to avoid that). I found something that I've never seen before also. directly in front of the fan (between the cabin filter and fan) there is what looks like a circuit board that sits in the air stream. It has a plug with about

6 wires into the bottom and then off the side there are two wires that go to the fan. Is this what reads the air temp and tell the system whether or not to go into recirc automatically? Any help would be great.

Thank you, Brad

Reply to
breimler

that is probably the blower resistor, (blower speed) nothing to do with your problem. have you checked the switch? It would seem like it is good because the light comes on but....? Does it make any noise at all when you turn the rec on and off? like a pop or anything?

Reply to
ScottM

Thanks for the info on the blower resistor. That makes sense since when I unplug it the motor doesn't run. I believe the switch/button is working correctly, but it's hard to test without knowing where the motor for the recirc door is. The reason I think it is working is because it is lighting up and when I switch to defrost the light automatically switches to outside air instead of recirc. I don't hear any popping or anything like the door is sticking, which makes me believe that the motor is just bad.

Does anyone know where the motor for this damper is? Does anyone have a maintenance manual that would show where it is? I tried a Haynes and Chilton's manual from the autoparts stores and they don't show them. Can anyone recommend a manual that would show an exploded view of the dashboard area?

Thanks, Brad

Reply to
BradR