trailer hitch/car hauler recom.?

I have a 2000 GMC shortbed with a 4.8. I want to put a tow kit on it that would handle one of those two-wheeled car haulers (front wheels go up on it)...for up to a full size car like up to 4000 lbs....any recommendations on a kit, and a trailer? I am in So. calif. thanks Mark

Reply to
mark french

I run a 92 with the 4.3 with a dual axle car trailer and I haul full size trucks on it as well as ranch and farm equipment so you shouldn't have a problem. If it is an auto tranny I would highly suggest unpluggin that radiator tranny cooler and buying the biggest cooler you can fit into your truck. Believe me a bigger cooler is cheaper than a tranny.

Reply to
sidewinder

Reply to
seeray

A class 3 hitch will do the job. You can find dealers in the yellow pages. Depending on what you get you can get one installed for less than $300.

Also, U-Haul installs hitches.

If you don't have the Z71 package, you might want to think about getting stabalizers installed also. That will keep the side to side sway down. I don't know the cost of that.

We have Silvarado 1500 with an after market class 3 hitch. We hauled the wifes car on a car carrier (entire car is off the ground) from NC to AZ with no problems.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Timothy L. Gernert