Trailer Hitch Question

I'm going to buy a class III hitch for my 1999 Chevy K1500 pickup. I want to get a bolt on that sits right behind the rear bumper. The truck has P265/75 R16 factory size tires on factory rims, no lift kit but does sit pretty tall compared to a 2WD model. My question is how much drop should I get on the ball platform for general towing of trailers, rental equipment etc. The reason I ask is that I don't own anything that I tow I just need it for when I do have to pull something.

Thanks Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

I personally prefer a plate with a series of holes to mount a pintle hook with a trailer ball because I've towed a real variety of stuff over the years. In the alternative here's a neat setup of you're limited top ball type trailers:

Bill Vajk

a 2'' should be fine for most everything you could tow; i've used a 2'' on just about any half ton truck i've owned. you should be able to pick one up at advanced or walmart for less than 20 bucks

good luck

TB

Reply to
Trailblazer

I believe you want the top of the ball 16-17 inches from the pavement.

Reply to
JR

Reply to
Al Hartkopf

"Oh I've got big balls, oh I've got big balls. There such big balls, dirty big balls. And she's got big balls, and he's got big balls, but I've got the biggest balls of them all!"

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ