'08 Highlander Trailer Hitch Question

Any advantage that you trailer hitch experts can see for one of these over the other besides the cost? I'm looking for less "ugly trailer hitch" look from behind so I think the round is lower profile but... Check out the links and let me know what you think.

I'm thinking the second one at $99... Don't see the advantage of a square tube system VS a round tube one either...

Oh, and sorry folks, this is not covered in the manual from what I can find.

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?

Joe

The first hitch appears to be made by Hidden Hitch, which is a name brand. Other name brands are Reese and Draw-Tite.

The second hitch is made by Curt Manufacturing, which I am not familiar with but appears to be a name brand.

I think the only difference between a square and round tube is style, so, assuming similar capacities and ratings, shop by ease of installation, style, and stick to a name brand.

Reply to
Ray O

I'd go with this one - Hidden Hitch is a reputable maker, and they'll be there if you ever have a problem.

The "HIDDEN HITCH STYLE!!!!" in the description headers smacks of desperation - they are invoking the name of the competitor to try and grab the keyword searches, but it is not made by Hidden Hitch.

Curt Mfg. - ? Might be good, but you should check out the maker for yourself, as well as the seller.

Myself, I go for a locally built - Eckhart Hitch & Welding, a 5- store Los Angeles chain

Class III/V (10,000#) welded to the chassis so it is NOT coming off. You pay a bit more for custom, well worth it.

Bomb-proof is a good thing - the Highway Patrol gets very annoyed when you start dropping trailers on /their/ road.

When in doubt, go heavier. You might not plan to tow over 3,000#, but when you hit potholes and gutters the shock loads are a lot higher than you would guess.

Eckhart is a master at tucking the crossbar up under the bumper, only the hitch receiver tube sticks down and then only far enough to clear the bumper. I've seen the big uglified thing the other companies sell for an E-250 Van. The lowest spot on the receiver is a good 3" higher than the competition, and that makes a huge difference in NOT scraping going in and out of driveways.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman