94 Ranger hitch questions.

I just picked up a low mileage (53,000 KM ~ 30,000 Mile) 94 Ranger 4.0 V6 Auto 4X4 Super Cab XLT.

I browsed this group and learnt a lot about the drop in Vs spray box liners. Thanks for answering one of my questions before I could even ask. .

I'd like to put a trailer hitch on this truck, preferably not one on the bumper - as it sits pretty high. Unfortunately there is no owners manual.

What are the recommended towing weights for this truck?

What brand and rating of hitch would your recommend and why? (installation? accessibility? safety? quality? etc. ...)

The truck is for personal use. I'd like to be able to tow a yard of topsoil or gravel for the around the house every now and then. Maybe tow a tent trailer or a little aluminium fishing boat on summer vacation. I figure if I put the highest recommended class hitch on, it will let me tow up to the maximum.

TIA

-- Roy DotSeaEh is .ca

Reply to
Roy Brown

Sorry don't have the figures for 1994 Ranger but for the 1996 Ranger with the setup like yours, it is:

3,600 lbs for 3.27 rear end, and 5,600 lbs for 3.73 rear. These are the maximums.

I have the Reese class 4 hitch on mine. It went on pretty easy, and allows me to change ball size and height easily with the 2" receiver. Installation required me to drill two holes, one on each side. The existing bumper mounting holes are also used.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Thanks Blair,

Does the Reese or any other hitch interfere with access to the spare tire? How can I tell which rear end I have, I figure it will say something on the door sticker.

-- Roy DotSeaEh is .ca

| > I browsed this group and learnt a lot about the drop in Vs spray box | liners. | > Thanks for answering one of my questions before I could even ask. . | >

| > I'd like to put a trailer hitch on this truck, preferably not one on the | > bumper - as it sits pretty high. | > Unfortunately there is no owners manual. | >

| > What are the recommended towing weights for this truck? | >

| > What brand and rating of hitch would your recommend and why? | > (installation? accessibility? safety? quality? etc. ...) | >

| > The truck is for personal use. I'd like to be able to tow a yard of | topsoil | > or gravel for the around the house every now and then. Maybe tow a tent | > trailer or a little aluminium fishing boat on summer vacation. I figure if | I | > put the highest recommended class hitch on, it will let me tow up to the | > maximum. | >

| > TIA | >

| > -- | > Roy | > DotSeaEh is .ca | >

| |

Reply to
Roy Brown

On my spare tire, I can no longer use the wrench that came with the truck. I have to carry a 19mm or 3/4" open end wrench to remove the bolt that holds my spare tire bracket up. I can still get the tire out.

It will have a code on the door sticker, and maybe the tag will still be on the rear differential. If you post the code, someone here should be able to decode it.

Mine is 3.73, with F6 on door sticker and 3L73 on differential tag, showing limited slip 3.73.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

a link to a table with rear axle codes.http://www.therangerstation.com/Axles.htmlregards, John